Compost containing pine needles for tomatos

• 2 Replies

Jack Child

Compost containing pine needles for tomatos
« on: April 15, 2021, 23:57 »
Hello everyone.
A couple of years ago we took up a load of turf from under a big pine tree.  The turfs were full of pine needles, so we put them in a crate upside down, and it has now turned into a lovely compost consistency, albeit riddled with pine needles at various stages of decomposition.  I was thinking it could be good for growing tomatos, aubergines, peppers etc in pots, if mixed with some normal compost or well rotted manure.  I'm just conscious about it being potentially too acidic from the pine needles. Any ideas?
Thanks, Jack

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Compost containing pine needles for tomatos
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 07:49 »
Believe I'm right in saying that even quite naturally acidic materials finish up more or less at neutral pH when fully composted - your material is clearly not quite at that stage yet.

I'd use a chemical pH test kit before using it, bearing in mind that any excess acidity would be reduced by mixing with other more neutral compost. Tomatoes prefer a slightly acid soil - 6-6.8, which would also suit peppers, so with any luck you might finish up in the right area.

(Don't rely on those cheap 'probe' pH meters - they appear to be mostly wildly inaccurate.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: Compost containing pine needles for tomatos
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 07:53 »
Hi Jack

I wouldn't be too concerned over those pine needles and acidity. The soil pH tomatoes are adapted to is pretty broad, roughly pH 5.5 to 7.5. The pH JayG mentioned is in the middle of that range.

My vegetable garden is all on land that was pine forest until recently. The soil here is acidic naturally, with or without pines, because all of our soil developed on acidic rock (granite and gneiss). Pine needles are all throughout the soil.

I don't worry about acidity, but I am concerned the tomatoes get enough calcium. Depending on calcium source, calcium can raise pH (by adding lime or dolomitic lime) or can change pH relatively little (by adding gypsum or plaster of Paris; or adding calcium nitrate). The added calcium will help prevent blossom end rot.

I agree with JayG that it is a good idea to check soil pH, as pH can change nutrient availability. I also agree cheap pH probes can be wildly inaccurate. Use a test kit meant for soil, or send a sample to a soil lab for testing.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 08:06 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

xx
Pine Needles

Started by mucky pup on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 21, 2008, 17:35
by mucky pup
xx
Pine needles

Started by mkhenry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2007, 09:15
by WG.
xx
Pine needles as mulch?

Started by SalJ1980 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 12, 2008, 12:24
by Stevens706
xx
Pencils and darning needles!

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 04, 2022, 12:14
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 42 queries.