I think im ready

• 21 Replies

Louise

• Experienced Member
I think im ready
« on: January 02, 2008, 14:59 »
We've started building the coop - hubby will finish it on friday.
Ive bought the essentials. I just need the hens now. I spent a couple of hours last night reading lots of the posts on the site - its fantastic.

I went to an agriculture shop to day to stock up ready for my new arrivals and bumped into a farmer who said i could have 3 of his hens. They are light sussex' crossed with something else, can't remember what. He told me they each lay about 200 eggs a year!!! It sounded a lot to me.

My husband thinks we will have problems with the neighbors cat and our hens. I have trawled through loads of post but can't find anything about cats.
Does anyone have problems with cats?

Thanks in advance
Louise

Selkie

I think im ready
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 15:05 »
Hi Louise,

We have two hens and three cats - one of the cats just ignores the hens totally but the other two (young cats) are quite interested in them, jumping into their run or going into the henhouse :roll:

The hens aren't that bothered, Dora did peck Toby on his nose once when he got too close. Our hens seem quite assertive like that, and will flap their wings or cluck if they aren't happy with such intense attention from the cats, and the cats back away when this happens.

When Pearl was a kitten she used to 'stalk' the hens but never tried to pounce on them - they are much bigger than she was.

I hope that helps :D

babe

• elvis king of chooks
I think im ready
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 15:05 »
my chooks free range and my cat will sit and just watch. we have lots of cats around here and none have ever gone near the chooks. not even when i had the chicks

so i dont think it will be a problem.

Louise

• Experienced Member
I think im ready
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 15:10 »
Thanks so much for your replies

We have a dog (Bailey) so our neighbors cat steers clear in the day - i was just worried about night. I didn't want them prowling round frightening the hens.

Selkie

I think im ready
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 15:14 »
It really shouldn't be a problem, Louise; at night the hens will be safe and snug in their coop and out of the cats way.

babe

• elvis king of chooks
I think im ready
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 15:15 »
its not cats you need to be concerned about.....its mr foxy.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
I think im ready
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 15:19 »
Before you take the hens check what they have been vaccinated against.  

Or you could be buying trouble  :(

Louise

• Experienced Member
I think im ready
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 15:25 »
He has given me his phone number so, i ring him and ask about vaccinations    before going down to collect them.He said i can have them free because as they are cross bred he would not be able to sell them anyway. I think he breeds for meat, because he also told me that he would be able to tell me their age so that i would know when to neck them!!!!!!! :? I told him they would grow old gracefully in my back garden :tongue2:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
I think im ready
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 15:31 »
I doubt they have been vaccinated at all then, but you take them on knowing that.

Many small breeders, particularl those who will be killing them young, don't bother to vaccinate, but as you want to keep them for a long time I would advise getting them from a breeder who has vaccinated and can tell you for what and when.

Viv

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.oldmotherhubbardsgarden.blogspot.com
I think im ready
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 15:38 »
Its so exciting when you begin :) You need to check that they have had vaccinations and wormed so that you can then work out when you are going to do them again - hope that makes sense.
I have had free hens, and they have been great, but i always isolated them from my existing ladies for at least 2/3 weeks. I also introduced them to the rest at night in the main arc so that there was less chance of fighting etc.
You have to let them decide the pecking order, but anything you can do to reduce the skirmishes will help

Enjoy this brilliant hobby, I love it and so do my neighbours who get the eggs :D  :D  :roll:
Happiest in the countryside.
Breathe deeply, and let the butterflies fly in formation!

Louise

• Experienced Member
I think im ready
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 15:50 »
right, i just phoned him. He said they are not vaccinated because he works organically. They are reared indoors until they are 6 weeks old then put outdoors, he gives them minerals and supplements to ward of infections etc. But did say he uses a red mite powder religiously and an antibacterial cleaner weekly in their coops.
So my thought were - get them here, get them wormed and see how they go. What do you think?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
I think im ready
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 15:59 »
Entirely your choice, and they are free:

If you take them make sue they are allert, lively, eating, and have clean botties and clear eyes, look through their feathers for pests.

I know mine are vaccinated against about a dozen diseases so can generally rule them out if they seem off colour, which has only been when moulting and one henwith egg peritonitis.  

Just keep it in mind for any future problems.

Many members on here would say - Grab'em  :!:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
I think im ready
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 16:43 »
If he has crossed a light sussex cockerel with a Rhode Island hen, the hens should be white, if they are brown, the cross could be the other way round, but that's what our Bovans goldlines and amberlinks are.

They are hybrids, which are just a posh name for a cross breed!  And they do lay loads of eggs!!!  

We've never had any probs with our cat or with the dog and the hens.  In fact the dog comes into the run with me, but she soon wants to get out again as the hens peck at her nipples and it hurts!!!! lol

And as already mentioned, as they are not vaccinated, there are things you can buy to ward off different things.  Worm them, coxoid is one thing that helps with coccidiosis,  Aunty is the expert on these things, and you should read her info that she's put on the poultry info section.  It's very good!

Selkie

I think im ready
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 16:45 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"

In fact the dog comes into the run with me, but she soon wants to get out again as the hens peck at her nipples and it hurts!!!! lol

That makes my eyes water :lol:

Viv

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.oldmotherhubbardsgarden.blogspot.com
I think im ready
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 17:21 »
One of out cats is a natural hunter and brings home large rabbits and birds. He does not touch the ladies although he does watch them.

Other cats sit in the field watching them but not doing any harm - YET

xx
Nearly Ready..

Started by AndyRVTR on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 11, 2009, 19:24
by blulagoo
xx
Building a big run - now ready

Started by mohs.ayaz on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post February 08, 2012, 01:36
by mohs.ayaz
xx
Is she ready to lay eggs

Started by Ma Lowe on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 25, 2009, 15:22
by themagicaltoad1
xx
Ready for the Hens but which ones ?

Started by longbow on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 24, 2009, 09:57
by shiatsusu

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 39 queries.