Fox Attacks Warning. It's that time of year again.

• 497 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Fox Attacks Warning.
« Reply #120 on: June 20, 2010, 22:03 »
My Brian was saying the other night that on the TV they said lots of townspeople are going around catching the urbanised foxes and releasing them back into the country!

Thanks Townies, that's all we need, MORE of the blooming things!!

raeburg

« Reply #121 on: June 20, 2010, 22:18 »
When urban foxes are released into rural areas they are unafraid of people and prey on easy food such as domesticated chickens.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #122 on: June 21, 2010, 00:16 »
My Brian was saying the other night that on the TV they said lots of townspeople are going around catching the urbanised foxes and releasing them back into the country!

I'm afraid that's a solution by people not facing up to the facts. Urban foxes haven't much of a chance in the country and vice-versa. There's a huge problem with urban foxes but capture and release isn't fair on the urban fox, existing rural foxes or the people affected.

Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Paul Plots

« Reply #123 on: June 21, 2010, 00:28 »
Urban foxes are becoming increasingly 'tame'....

My aunt in south London was getting the washing in from one of those whirligig washing lines... she had sheets hung out. As she removed the last sheet she was a little shocked to see a fox laying a metre or two away sunning itself in her tiny back garden.

She fled.... not it as she is rather intinmidated by their boldness.  :blink:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

joshbuchan

« Reply #124 on: June 21, 2010, 17:30 »

Thanks Townies, that's all we need, MORE of the blooming things!!

well i can see both the argerments there.

fox's have no place in towns or citys and should be removed (i agree with that), but should not be dumped on other people back gardens, as a urban fox will be so used to easy pickings of the floor n out of bins, it will find it hard to live in the wild and catch food for its selfs. so they will try anything like domesticated chickens and other small livestock. this also cant be aloud!! but as the fox gets more hungrey they will get more desprote and will try any moment to get at your small livestock and as they are used to lots of people, watching u from a bush would be a dodle to them. this is a very big problem we have and the only way to stop this before it gets to far is by thining the numbers drasticly!! this will also give the wild birds and rodents more of a chanse, which in anouther case the rat and mise will increase!! so theres a fine balance that mother natur had sorted out purfectly, now we have really messed things up!
wolfs would of eaten any fox they seen, now we have killed all the wolfes theres was only us humens left to kill the fox's, now cuz of our old hell bend goverment (and dnt think our new one is to much better) likes to tax anything people see fun, they sore some people were injoying hunting fox's and other injoying keepong the trodishon alive!, as they cant tax death (o they would if they could) they banned it!! so theres nothing left to stop them from rearing every young they have!

so what can we do?? catch every fox we see and dump them on the goverments door steps?
they will jsut releace them into the wild i spose, but if we are there and ready to stop them releasing them into the wild were there are allready to meny then they will have to dispatch them, then that will give us somthing to work one i spose..... oh this is way to complecated....

NormandyMary

« Reply #125 on: June 21, 2010, 21:03 »
Well I woke up to a pile of feathers this morning and both my beautiful girls gone  :(  I am so sad today as they were part of the family.

I have been on this house over 25 years and there has been no signs of foxes but Im guessing thats what it was.  Seems to have opened the gate somehow and made its way in there.

RIP Milly and Tilly

I am so sorry for your sad loss. Its always the first ones you lose that are the worst. Dont let it put you off keeping chooks, or the fox will have won! We are in the process of making our Fort Knox, though the girls we have left arent very keen as they are used to having half an acre to stroll around in. Still if its a choice between a pen and death, no contest.

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #126 on: June 22, 2010, 13:37 »
IMHO vermin should be trapped/hunted and destroyed, just like the country people have been doing for years. In this category I would include foxes, grey squirrels, magpies, rats, mice etc.

If a domestic dog  or cat causes damage then they are destroyed. Just like the earlier comments we would be helping nature, by reducing the numbers
rip Sandy, rip Beryl, Henrietta

Know what would be nice in your garden, a few hens lol

Thrift

« Reply #127 on: July 03, 2010, 17:40 »
I agree vermin should be treated as vermin and destroyed when their numbers are too invasive. Lots of people see foxes as pretty and cute as indeed they are until you witness their savage nature and destruction.

I blame all these soppy wildlife programmes where they sentimentalise all animals ( except the human variety of course )

>:( >:(

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #128 on: July 03, 2010, 17:58 »

If a domestic dog  or cat causes damage then they are destroyed.

That's a new one on me!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

horticgirl

« Reply #129 on: July 04, 2010, 15:08 »
Just reading this with interest - we have lost 3 birds in the last 2 months  :(
Poor Yvette was taken last monday morning just as it was starting to get light. We had our bedroom window and heard her squawking - horrific. husband got to the window just as the fox was disappearing through our back hedge.
He is going to re-build the hen house and make it like fort knox!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #130 on: July 04, 2010, 15:44 »
Please don't rely on chicken wire to protect your birds from foxes, they can and will bite through it. This article might help: Weldmesh

Topscaff

• Experienced Member
« Reply #131 on: July 06, 2010, 19:01 »
The best cure for foxes is a bit of lead behind its left ear no more trouble,  >:(
Mike.
Mike Rixon

stujem

« Reply #132 on: July 09, 2010, 15:50 »
Hi, I'm just building a chicken run and house (started yesterday) I'm looking to have just 3 chickens for now, one each for the children!. I have read every post regarding foxes and I'm sorry to everyone who has lost there girls and boys. I do not want this to happen to my girls so looking for advice please. I know I have foxes going in and out of my garden and I've also seen them crossing the road. Digging the ground to put wire mesh is not an option, so should I put wire mesh on the floor?, will the chickens be alright walking on mesh? I have made a house out of pallets, I will also attach wire mesh over the wood as well to make sure. Many thanks
Stu

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #133 on: July 09, 2010, 21:59 »
All around the outside of your run and coup make a weld mesh skirt that sites on the ground and is attached to your run at 90 degrees. Make it at lease 8 inches wide (ideally I would make it 12 inches wide) and peg it down with tent pegs. This will prevent anything from burrowing under.
Staffies are softer than you think.

stujem

« Reply #134 on: July 10, 2010, 16:53 »
Thank you Joyfull, I will do just as you said.

xx
That time year for Veg

Started by pepsi100 on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post October 14, 2013, 09:37
by madcat
xx
does anyone get to see their hens this time of year?

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post November 23, 2010, 13:26
by TeaPots
xx
Moulting! at this time of year

Started by anitaws on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 29, 2009, 16:19
by LittleRedHen
xx
Third time broody this year, will this be last?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 14, 2012, 17:22
by gracie

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 39 queries.