Peas not germinating

• 5 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Peas not germinating
« on: April 25, 2013, 22:47 »
On the 3rd I sowed a load of Kelvedon Wonder peas and there's still no sign of them. A day before that I sowed my Carouby mange tout and although they did take a bit longer than normal they were showing on the 19th. I did put some fleece over the KW, partly for a bit of warmth and partly to act as a mouse baffler, but that wouldn't stop them germinating would it? I really don't think the mice have got to them because mice always tend to leave perfect little round holes everywhere they dig up a pea, and there's no sign at all of disturbance to the soil. I can't believe they've rotted either, because it really hasn't been wet in the last couple of weeks.

I have to admit I've never tried KW before, but can anyone tell me how long they normally take to come up?

plum crumble

Re: Peas not germinating
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 22:56 »
may I suggest a wee furtle in the soil to see what is happening? sounds like they've been munched..  :(

I sowed some last week in a length of drainpipe in a cold greenhouse, and they germinated within a week - will be put out on the lottie this weekend.
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 23:00 »
It seems that peas are getting the hump this year, Shokkyy!

I sowed 36 'Misty'. in paper pots and nearly all of them rotted - even in a frost-free greenhouse! I also popped in 36 'Waverex', and they did much better, so we have at least a row for the first succession, and they're under debris netting as some sort of preotection.

Like you, I have a packet of Kelvedon Wonder, and perhaps a slightly different approach might be in order, as we're planning to sow them in plastic pots to get a good untangled root system going, then plant them out later.

(Just for further advice, the cucumber seeds rotted as well - and they were inside the house!)

agapanthus

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 00:43 »
may I suggest a wee furtle in the soil to see what is happening? sounds like they've been munched..  :(

I sowed some last week in a length of drainpipe in a cold greenhouse, and they germinated within a week - will be put out on the lottie this weekend.

I think you may be right Crumble....I always grow mine in guttering, wrapped in wire netting and watered twice daily (tend to dry out quickly) and have always had good results. :)

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 07:05 »
I sowed 20 peas (ambassador) in guttering back in march ... only 4 have come through!!! I have planted direct now ... will start again in the guttering so I have some gap fillers but want to get some KW as I believe I can sow them again later and get an autumn crop???
2 Books and No idea!!!  Learning as I go!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 09:17 »
for later sowing any early pea will be ok but make sure it says it's a mildew resistant variety, cos the later sowwings are prone to that! .........can't remember if KW is  :blush:

xx
Germinating

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 11, 2006, 11:21
by muntjac
xx
Germinating Squashes Help

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post May 08, 2010, 19:00
by Paul Plots
xx
Germinating parsnips

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 04, 2012, 23:08
by Mrs Bee
xx
Germinating in propagator

Started by mashauk on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 03, 2008, 16:12
by mashauk

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 35 queries.