https://youtu.be/czCbiSAk7yE

Edit to fix youtube link
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 22:08 by mumofstig »
Colin

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: SLUGS
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 22:10 »
That may stop new slugs getting in, but slugs will come up through the soil from underneath.

jezza

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 22:18 »
Hello copper wire works as well but doesn't need the battery  jezza

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 08:44 »
slugs are our biggest problem on the allotments and Mums right the slugs do come from under the soil although slug pellets do tend to help I'm not sure if growing green manures would help to keep down the slug population or not?

anything that would get rid of the slugs down our allotments would be most welcome we are looking at using nemaslug that says it lasts above and bellow the ground for six week sand  see if its going to be cost effective

al78

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 11:50 »
I'm not sure if growing green manures would help to keep down the slug population or not?

If anything they will increase the population, but providing a cool moist environment for the slugs to take shelter from the strong summer sun, although they will also provide a habitat for slug predators as well. I tend to knock down the population by applying nematodes a week or so before planting out seedlings, combined with copper rings. For nematodes to work the soil needs to be moist, but there has been little rain in the last six weeks and little more expected in the near future.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 12:51 »
I am still in the old school.   I use all my dried eggshells crunched up.   Not so easy if you have a large plot, but ask friends and neighbours to save them for you.     Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

lettice

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 08:28 »
I am still in the old school.   I use all my dried eggshells crunched up.   Not so easy if you have a large plot, but ask friends and neighbours to save them for you.     Mrs Bouquet

I have always done that with my broad beans, so fragile as a plant for the first few weeks.
I put them in a tin and leave the tin outside in a cold store, so they become fragile and easier to crush that little bit smaller.
Its really one of the few things that are out then, so they tend to head towards them.

As for copper, I have always used copper tape just under the rim on my pots that have sweet pea, French beans, carrots and other things. It has always pretty much deterred the slugs and snails climbing into the pots. Do though pick them up regularly to check none hiding underneath that can go through the bottom of the pot.

Away from pets and not in the open, I still use pellets, like around the inside edge of the greenhouse and in covered raised beds. Do also use my homemade nematodes for all my potatoes.
The best thing though is to go out with a torch late evening or early morning and pick them off, especially after a rain spell. That will keep your nematode supply ongoing, so they get a kind of second life :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 08:30 by lettice »

Grubbypaws

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 10:30 »
I bought a hedgehog home :D . It is occupied and from the amount of hedgehog poo in the garden it seems to be working well!

Where the crops are covered in the raised beds I still use pellets. I check that all is OK by placing used grapefruit or orange halves upside down. If there is a slug around it will spend the day underneath and can be safely removed before night.

I also have copper rings to put around plants growing in the ground.

I have used nematodes before in the raised beds but it doesn't stop those big slugs intruding and doing damage before they die. Also as Ai78 says the soil has to be kept moist so that the nematodes can 'swim' around.

al78

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 12:08 »
I have used nematodes before in the raised beds but it doesn't stop those big slugs intruding and doing damage before they die. Also as Ai78 says the soil has to be kept moist so that the nematodes can 'swim' around.

That is what the pair of scissors is for.

xx
Slugs!

Started by HaggisWhisperer on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 16, 2009, 23:56
by aubergine
xx
slugs

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 21, 2010, 10:03
by harry
xx
Slugs......HELP me please...

Started by dionne on Grow Your Own

46 Replies
Last post January 13, 2008, 22:20
by gobs
xx
slugs

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:38
by devonbarmygardener

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 45 queries.