Ivy Killer wanted

• 12 Replies

WhiteWolf

• Experienced Member
  • The Bald One
Ivy Killer wanted
« on: July 13, 2014, 16:22 »
Hi Everybody

I just wondered if anybody has a "fool Proof" Ivy killer?

We have tried Glyphosate and SBK both with and without washing up liquid to help it stick, but with no effect.

It run along both sides of the back fence and has started to invade the greenhouse and we want it gone.

The sprays are dealing with the Russian vine that is entwined with the Ivy, but not the Ivy itself and it's doing my nut in.  :wacko:

Regards

WW  8)
Every day I live with fear,,,,, sometimes she lets me out to play

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
Re: Ivy Killer wanted
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 19:36 »
Someone... please...

There must be a way... ? (chemical/nuclear/biological - when it comes to ivy, I'm with the (baby eating) Bishop of Bath and Wells:
 "I'm a colossal pervert, Animal, vegetable or mineral, I'll do anything to anything."

TO GET RID OF THE IVY!

:(

Cheers,
Balders

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 20:01 »
Chop the stem where you want it to stop growing.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

WhiteWolf

• Experienced Member
  • The Bald One
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 20:40 »
Yorkie

Tried that, just seems to come back with a vengeance.  It's growing up, over and through a 7foot fence. I am seriously think of accidentally setting fire to the whole fence and blaming it on spontanious combustion  :lol: :lol:

WW  8)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 21:54 »
Have you tried the tree stump type of glyphosate product, which you put on the stump and cover up?  Think that's stronger.  I imagine the problem with spraying it is that it's got very glossy leaves so it just runs off.

mobilekat

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 22:10 »
In the past I have had success by crushing the leaves and then Painting glyphosate directly on to them.
And cutting the stem, and painting the stems and the diddly trots that it grips to things with.
And then repeating, and swearing.

Or decide you want it to grow in a specific place- then it always dies....
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 22:56 »
Mine is mostly based in next doors garden / boundary.. He's
 enough for me to go round and attack it but even so it makes things twice as hard...

Cheers,
Balders

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 23:16 »
Stump killer if the main stems are large enough. Cut them back. cover the top with a black bin bag. Drill a couple of holes into the stalk and inject a double strength mix into the hole and seal with blue tack.
Failing that Nitro glycerine
May the fork be with you

m1ckz

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 06:36 »
neat roundup worked for me..was growing through my garage from next door...just strayed from inside the garage .it killed lots of it even next doors side   

dugless

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 07:11 »
How I miss the Sodium chlorate , I few drops by the roots Killed of all the self set trees I get, now I have to extra
 vigilant and dig them out before they get too big , even when small the roots go down along way.
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

WhiteWolf

• Experienced Member
  • The Bald One
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 09:20 »
I've used Glyphosate at nearly 3x the recommended dosage and the Ivy just laughed at me.

I've tried Vitax's SBK brushwood killer, again at more than te correct dosage and no effect.

I am at the minute using my Google-fu to try find a supplier of napalm  :lol: :lol:

I think it may come down to brute force and ignorance and take the loppers, axe and machete to it  :D

WW 8)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 09:22 by WhiteWolf »

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 11:59 »
It is a bit like marestail where sprays just run off the leaves even with added soap to make it stay on. Like the others have said, firstly you need to cut the main stems as low as possible so the upper growth dies off, then push something down the cut-off stems to enlarge the hole and drip weedkiller into it using whatever you can find then seal it by tying a polybag on it. You could also bruise any lower leaves by bashing them with something so the weedkiller can penetrate more easily. Another weedkiller you could try is Pathclear because I put it on my gravel path and got a bit close (about 18" away) to my hawthorn hedge which did affect it but it eventually recovered. If you could slightly dilute your weedkiller with some sort of gel (hair conditioner, shower gel, even a molten jelly cube springs to mind) then maybe it would help retain it.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Dilly Dom

• Experienced Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 13:52 »
Oh how I hate Ivy >:(  We had it growing up one of our outbuildings when we moved here and apart from the odd trim over the years tried to ignore it.  However, this year decided we really had to tackle it.  This building is two story's high and it was starting to climb over the roof.

Some of the stems had reached the size of trees, so we cut them off at ground level but I notice they are already starting to shoot again.  The problem we had was that the ivy had grown through the guttering, so there was no other way than to get the ladders out and start cutting the tangled mess out. It is taking for ever and we still have quite a lot to cut down but are getting there.

This time we will certainly keep the blasted stuff cut down on a regular basis.

The motto of this story is do not plant ivy against buildings and if it is there keep on cutting it down to ground level before it gets out of hand.

Dilly
It is better to have nothing to do than to be doing nothing.

xx
Bug Killer?????

Started by Big Jen on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 07, 2008, 10:28
by compostqueen
xx
weed killer

Started by ian1 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 18, 2010, 14:10
by Lardman
xx
weed killer

Started by vixen on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 20:21
by vixen
xx
Tobacco tea as a bug killer?

Started by I Love Spuds on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 13, 2014, 13:26
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.287 seconds with 30 queries.