Succession planting in greenhouses

• 6 Replies

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Succession planting in greenhouses
« on: April 25, 2015, 09:37 »
Am looking for a few tips on succession planting as a total greenhouse newbie.

When do greenhouse beans and peas tend to crop? And do you hoik them out for your tomatoes etc? And when would you put in late courgettes?

Apols if there's a handy thread on this I've missed- it's hard to use the search function on my new phone. Though this is most likely user error... ::)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 09:37 by surbie100 »

Lardman

Re: Succession planting in greenhouses
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 09:52 »
As far as I know (and I stand to be corrected) those of us doing beans / peas in the GH don't do it as a crop per say but as a quick catch crop in the spring. Just a couple of plants to get an early crop before those outside start producing.

The dwarf beans I put in the top GH will get in the way of the tomatoes if I don't remove them in 4-6 weeks from now which will probably be 2 weeks into picking - it's enough for a taster and the seeds are cheap. I expect the early pea growers will be doing much the same. The limited space doesn't provide for decent crop.

I don't think you'd get away with late plants, something like a courgette would need a good 2 months to crop and are cold intolerant. You'd have to plant it at the peak of tomato production and then there's the issue of pollination. 

Save GH space for the good stuff  ;) It might look empty now but in 2 months you'll have problems getting in there to harvest !

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 10:10 »
Thanks Lardy. I'm really looking forward to my first peas and beans - it seems a long time since I've had anything other than squash, kale and psb.

I'm already growing loads more than I normally would for this time of year and I've crammed the greenhouse full of mini-plants so far, which makes going away challenging. Next step is reading up on watering systems...

cadalot

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 10:56 »
Next step is reading up on watering systems...

Large gravel trays that take two normal seed trays from Wilko, level staging and a small depth of water plus the water retaining membrane between bottom of module and seed tray keeps things nice a moist between visits every 2 - 3 days plus debris netting on the outside fixed with mini bulldog clips to provide shade and stopping your plastic trays and pots melting and your plants shrivelling up 

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 11:03 »
Large gravel trays that take two normal seed trays from Wilko,

Got an item number / link ? I was going to be a bulk load of cat litter trays this year to stand the pots in as gravel tray are silly money.

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 22:08 »
I stand my tomato plants on gravel in gro bag trays, great for this time of year for all the seed trays & small pots & modules. I've an 8x10 greenhouse & fit 2 rows of 3 trays down each side. Then when I set the watering system up I only need 1 dripper per tray = 4 tomatoes
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

cadalot

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 05:41 »
Large gravel trays that take two normal seed trays from Wilko,

Got an item number / link ? I was going to be a bulk load of cat litter trays this year to stand the pots in as gravel tray are silly money.

http://www.wilko.com/seed-trays-plant-pots+planters/wilko-premium-gravel-tray-black-52cm/invt/0099388

They are very robust and two trays fit in comfortably and for £3.50 now and much less at the end the season- I stocked up so I have enough for both green houses and my coldframe. they also may handy transportation trays when tacking stuff from home to the allotment

xx
Some Help with greenhouses please

Started by Mark Barry on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post February 08, 2019, 20:59
by jezza
clip
What's better than 2 greenhouses ?

Started by Lardman on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post June 09, 2014, 13:57
by Beetroot Queen
xx
heating greenhouses

Started by jenricks on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

7 Replies
Last post September 30, 2020, 22:32
by jezza
xx
Polycarbonate greenhouses - yay or nay?

Started by Casey76 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

11 Replies
Last post June 21, 2016, 16:28
by lazza

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 40 queries.