Green Manure and Animal Manure

• 3 Replies

AllotmentTom19

• Tom's Allotment
Green Manure and Animal Manure
« on: July 13, 2010, 22:27 »
Hi All,

I have been reading through many posts about the benefits of using green manure, and I have realised that this is something that will, hopefully, work well on my plot. Currently it is covered in weeds and roots, so lots of digging through will be happening whenever the rain allows it!

What I can't quite grasp, is when I should put down green manure and how long to leave it down.

I felt I had got it, plant Aug-Sept and leave for roughly 8 weeks before digging back in. But then I read one post/article (I cant remember which  :unsure: ) which said that crops should be planted within two weeks of digging in the green manure, otherwise it is a waste of time.

Another that confused me talked of overwintering the green manure to next spring, whereas I had come to believe that mulching with rotted animal manure over winter (after the green manure had been dug in) was the best option!  :wacko:

As you can probably tell I am utterly confused, and no doubt you will be trying to understand my ramblings!  ::)

If you have managed to understand this, then I would be very appreciative of any clarity that can be provided  :)

Many thanks in advance,

Tom
When all else fails, go home and have a cup of tea!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Green Manure and Animal Manure
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 22:31 »
http://www.allotment-garden.org/fertilizer/green-manures.php

Try this article of John's. He explains it better than I could  :lol: :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 22:34 »
I left green manure on all winter and dug it in in spring, but mine was instead of animal manure, not as well as! Mine was mostly to improve the humus level of the soil, as it is very sandy here :)

Muddylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 22:47 »
I am  planning on using a green manure for the first time this winter, I've already got the seeds, Rye Grass and English Vetch combo. It states that they should be planted before the end of September so I'm going to loose some growing space early, for this year, hopefully for the benefit next year.
      I'm also going to dig in straw/manure before I plant the green manure, this I'll dig in next spring. Not sure if it's the right thing but my heavy clay soil could do with organic matter.

ps. I have also read that seeds shouldn't be sown for four weeks after digging the green manure in, as some types inhibit seed germination but don't affect seedlings.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 23:34 by Muddylou »

xx
Green manure vs animal manure

Started by Jai on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 14:25
by Trillium
xx
Green manure or horse manure?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 01:12
by Trillium
xx
To manure or green manure?

Started by sophieann on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 24, 2009, 17:17
by DD.
xx
Green manure

Started by KarenP on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 31, 2007, 10:44
by yummy

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 40 queries.