Growing in bags and containers

• 12 Replies

mkhenry

« on: September 26, 2007, 21:24 »
I was taken aback to notice in one of my local garden centres organic grow bags for Sweet corn,lettuce,peas,runnerbeans, etc, etc, etc.

Each bag needed to be cut according to which veg you intended to grow.
The soil content of the bag contained all the fertilizers and nutrients required for the plant to survive.
Yes its a great idea and one that has been said on this forum.You can grow most vegetables in bags and containers very successfully
If you wish to grow a few veg in the back garden to save a trip down the lottie on a busy busy day,container growing is a great way to do so.Less pest problems, easier to control watering and heat.
I only ask that you make your own bags,and avoid paying for these oh so expensive "organic" ones.Those extra strong rubble bags are just the job,or just about any container that you can safely punch a few holes in will do.
Fill them with the correct mix of compost etc and away you go.
Fresh veg just outside the back door.
I know that this is like teaching your grannie to suck eggs in some cases,but some readers are new to growing and others would love to give container growing a try but are unsure if it can be done. :lol:

Saves a trip to the lottie when the rellies call unexpectedly. :lol:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Growing in bags and containers
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 22:44 »
Quote from: "mkhenry"

Saves a trip to the lottie when the rellies call unexpectedly. :lol:

Thanks for the tip mk - but they don't get past the razor wire!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

WG.

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 23:04 »
I get all the empty tree bags from a guy who plants trees for a living.  They are really big and very strong - can cope with 3 or 4 years of UV.  Large enough to grow Jerusalem Artichokes in!

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 23:07 »
i use them as well wg as u see from my free taters post .got em from the council mate .they was dumping 300 plus of em .i managed to get 40odd in the car lolol
still alive /............

mkhenry

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 23:07 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
I get all the empty tree bags from a guy who plants trees for a living.  They are really big and very strong - can cope with 3 or 4 years of UV.  Large enough to grow Jerusalem Artichokes in!

Thats a good tip WG I will give that a try.In MK there are over 3,000,000 trees still to be planted.So Im sure I will get some bags. :wink:

WG.

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 23:11 »
You know the ones - white outside, black inside.  I turn them inside-out since black tends to be less obtrusive.  Large enough to trim off the top half - giving you a bottomless tube to fill with soil to grow your carrots in

mkhenry

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 23:14 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
You know the ones - white outside, black inside.  I turn them inside-out since black tends to be less obtrusive.  Large enough to trim off the top half - giving you a bottomless tube to fill with soil to grow your carrots in

I will be looking out for them this week. :wink:
Plus black will absorb and store the heat better,good tip again WG

Boothy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 23:25 »
i use pots, containers and an old tea chest in back garden (3 yr wait for an allotment) succesfully grew cabbage, peas, radish, lettuce, chillis, spring onions and tomatoes.  Only real disaster was cucumbers - think i started too late
Total beginner - please bear with me if I ask daft questions!!

mkhenry

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 23:32 »
Quote from: "Boothy"
i use pots, containers and an old tea chest in back garden (3 yr wait for an allotment) succesfully grew cabbage, peas, radish, lettuce, chillis, spring onions and tomatoes.  Only real disaster was cucumbers - think i started too late

Now thats what I like to hear.You must be chuffed every season to get your own crop of fresh veg.Just by container growing.More and more people will be trying this now that the message is getting home.They can encourage children to plant ,look after, and eat veg,and best of all it can be chemical free. :lol:
So keep it up Boothy,and try to help others to do so,even if its just a small container with a few lettuce its still worth while. :lol:

Boothy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 23:47 »
must add - the advice i have had from people on here has been invaluable - will be doubling what i did next year - can't wait for the growing season to start again - just got some of that perpetual spinach on the go now

mkhenry

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 23:50 »
Quote from: "Boothy"
must add - the advice i have had from people on here has been invaluable - will be doubling what i did next year - can't wait for the growing season to start again - just got some of that perpetual spinach on the go now

Your doing better than me now :lol:

Fat Hen

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 20:55 »
I don't have a lottie yet and do all my growing in containers in back garden, south facing & fairly sheltered.  I buy grow bags and empty them into whatever container i'm using as, at my local garden centre they're the cheapest form of "potting compost".

My only problem is what to do with it at end of growing season?  And do I really need to by a load more the following year.

My 6 yr old daughter is chuffed with growing her own sunflowers, chillis, tomatoes and green beans etc.  And is even tempted to eat some of them.

As what to do with old growbag compost my chucks may have solved the problem, I kicked some finnished toms out of greenhouse at the weekend and they are busily eating the compost, recycle into eggs & chicken manure.  I wonder how long it will take to get through a dozen grow bags :!:  :roll:

WG.

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 20:58 »
Quote from: "Fat Hen"
 My only problem is what to do with it at end of growing season?  And do I really need to by a load more the following year.
See this post : http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?p=93943#93943

Indeed see the whole thread.  :D

xx
Growing in containers

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 27, 2010, 10:37
by AdrianH
xx
Growing In Containers

Started by JeanetteCoulson on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 08, 2008, 15:47
by Ice
xx
Growing Carrots in Containers

Started by Pony Girl on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 14, 2013, 00:13
by Auntiemogs
question
Vine growing in containers

Started by Robplot on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 27, 2019, 16:57
by Ivor Backache

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 39 queries.