Mixed Grit & Oyster shell

• 7 Replies

Anndee

• Experienced Member
Mixed Grit & Oyster shell
« on: September 17, 2012, 19:58 »
Hi. I'm just curious to know what is the different usage for these 2 items please. I give mine the grit ad lib, but not sure if there is oyster shell in it or not and do they actually need both. Their eggshells are always quite hard.
Thanks
Anne

orchardlady

Re: Mixed Grit & Oyster shell
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 20:09 »
hi there Anne. The grit is used for grinding their food in their crops and the oyster shell gets ground up in the crop of the bird and is used to make lovely hard shells. You should be able to tell if you have oyster shell in the mixture you have by looking closely. The oyster shell is light grey/white and is flatish and ovalish.

Hope this helps.

Orchardlady.

PS. I keep my hens free range and offer these add lib although they would probably find enough of both as they range over a large area. Not quite more safe than sorry but just incase.

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 20:59 »
I nosed in to read this thread as I am soon to be the proud owner of some budgies (heaven help them). I bought grit the other day and wondered whether I should also offer oyster shell.

They wont be laying any eggs any time soon but perhaps the oyster shell adds calcium to their diet.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 21:09 »
I kept budgies years ago, and they didn't lay eggs either, but I seem to remember we used to give them grit which had oyster shell in it Paul, but didn't know why at the time.

I was only a youngster! 

As to chickens.  I have just bought some grit and oyster shell as one of our older girls keeps laying a very thin shelled egg, but I don't usually do it as a matter of course, as like orchard lady said, I think most of the time they find what they need in their run and in their layers pellets.

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 21:19 »
Thanks for your response GrannyAnnie - apologies for going a little off topic Anndee

I really must get into town and re-join the library!!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 22:07 »
Library?  When you have the world wide webby thing in front of you?    :lol: :lol:

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 02:08 »
Library?  When you have the world wide webby thing in front of you?    :lol: :lol:

I thought that too and it was my first delve direction.... but the information is sometimes contradictory and not always quite as accurate as it might be.

I guess I'm old fashioned and just enjoy holding a book - something that doesn't need plugging in or recharging and can be left near by for a quick re-read.

I must stop or I'll be in trouble as usual.  :(

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 17:24 »
Thank you Orchard lady for your help.
 I've had a look and I think there is Oyster shell in with the grit so thats good. I did wonder why they needed both and now I know  :D
they do always lay eggs with nice hard shells so that shouyld have given me some indication. they also roam about the garden all day so must find a lot of what they need when they're grubbing about.
Thanks again Anne

xx
oyster shell , grit or both?

Started by jackie on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 06, 2010, 20:24
by ehs284
xx
oyster shell grit

Started by looe-looe-belle on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post October 01, 2010, 17:51
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Grit / Oyster Shell

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 17, 2011, 23:53
by hillfooter
xx
Grit / Oyster shell does same job?

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 13, 2010, 15:21
by darkbrowneggs

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 29 queries.