brand new, green-field plot - what to do?

• 7 Replies

andy_h

brand new, green-field plot - what to do?
« on: February 20, 2011, 15:24 »
I have just got an allotment plot (my first ever) at a brand new council site - it is just a grassy field at the moment.  I have the option of getting it rotovated, but I'm not sure whether this is a good idea as presumably they'll just rotovate the grass into the soil which will then come back as weeds

I was thinking that the best thing to do would be to take the turf off myself & then dig the plot by hand - a lot more work, but hopefully a better end result.  presumably I can chop up the turf once the grass it dead & mix it into the compost bin a bit at a time?

also, what should I be putting into the soil when I dig it over?  I'm not entirely sure of the soil type, it's quite waterlogged at the moment, but I don't think it's heavy clay.  the site is quite low-lying (it's on a slope & I picked the highest plot I could) & with all the rain lately it's pretty squelchy.  hopefully when it dries out a bit I'll be able to get a better idea

any advice much appreciated

Andy

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: brand new, green-field plot - what to do?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 15:40 »
There's a useful article called clearing your plot if you click the Growing Help link at the top of the page, then scroll down to allotment articles.

I would try to find out whether it is regular grass or couch grass (also known as twitch, amongst other names).  The latter is a nightmare, particularly if rotavated.  It has long thin white roots, like piano wire. 

If you have this couch grass, the best advice is to fork it all out over time.  You could speed things up by using a glyphosate based weedkiller once the grass starts growing actively.  Don't compost the roots (some people put them in a bucket of water for a long time to rot down, but I don't have a big enough bucket and it truly stinks!).  I burn them or stick them in my home green bin.

If the roots are fibrous, it could be rotavated but I think your plan is better.  If you stack the turves, they will rot down into fabulous loamy compost.  You could add them to the compost bin but that's extra work  ;)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 15:43 »
I would slice off the truf and stack it greenside down covered whith black polythene.  I will make lovely compost in about 18 months time.

Hand dig the rest over if you can and remove as many weed roots as possible.  Check that the water logged areas are not panned below the surface. break them up with a fork if they are.

Good luck and have fun.

EDIT: snap to some of Yorkies post :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 15:44 by Aunt Sally »

andy_h

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 16:10 »
thanks for this, I found the article.  looks like I have some digging to do!!

savbo

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 16:20 »
If you have a very large area of turf you might want to consider hiring a turf lifting machine. They are huge heavy beasts and difficult to control but take the turf off very evenly and are fast! You still need to cut it up into manageable lengths and stack it...

andy_h

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 22:14 »
thanks for the tip.  I only have a half-size plot, so I think I'll turf, dig & plant a bed at a time so that I can stagger things a bit

Andy

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 22:40 »
thanks for the tip.  I only have a half-size plot, so I think I'll turf, dig & plant a bed at a time so that I can stagger things a bit

Andy

You'll be able to tell if you overdo it cos the staggering will come from the drink you'll need after   :D

good luck with your plans.
Unless otherwise stated it can be assumed ALL posts are by Pa Snip

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 08:21 »
Worth taking some pictures as you go along - I photograph the whole of my garden every two weeks - it reminds me what I did / when, and when it came up / flowered etc.

Also rather rewarding to look back on and realise that a lot did actually happen :)

xx
Field Beans - What are they ? (Green manure)

Started by galen on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 24, 2010, 14:32
by mumofstig
xx
Field peas and beans for green manure

Started by madcat on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 13, 2010, 11:22
by Babstreefern
xx
Planning a brand new fruit plot

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post September 29, 2011, 21:37
by Growster...
xx
Composting green waste on plot

Started by rogertb on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 04, 2019, 19:05
by Thrutchington

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 38 queries.