parsley- any tips?

• 7 Replies

missmoneypenny

parsley- any tips?
« on: January 02, 2013, 23:01 »
I get through a lot of parsley in the kitchen but have never managed a decent crop. Either it's puny and fails to thrive or it goes yellow, or it bolts. This year I'm thinking of starting off indoors then growing on in my raised bed.
Any tips on ensuring healthy plants? Do they like a rich soil - should I prepare the soil with horse manure? Are there any companion crops they like? Thanks for any tips.

Lardman

Re: parsley- any tips?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 23:09 »
I've had good success with cheap been and queued compost in a terracotta bulb pot - those wide shallow things. I sowed heavily and put some glass over until germination.  Kept on the patio which gets silly hot in full sun.

It was cheap seed from wilco's which is probably 5 years old. Think it was 'moss curled parsley' but was very handy in the kitchen.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 23:15 »
I was just going to say grow the Italian flat leaf parsley because I think it makes a stonger plant  ;)
it likes a soil that doesn't dry out, and will even take a bit of shade -unlike the other mediterranean-type herbs which like to be baked.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 00:36 »
I just direct seed my Italian parsley early and keep it watered until it sprouts, then just give it a weekly watering if needed. I also manure the ground the previous fall and always get a great crop. A lot of heat will make parsley bolt quickly so the partly shaded areas would be good if you expect a hot summer.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 06:22 »
We all do it differently don't we?

I'm the same as Larnman, sowing wise - thick sown Champion Moss Curled, germinated in the frost free greenhouse, then hardened off, but I break mne up into clumps and plant direct in the ground.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 09:09 »
Agree that it seems happier with a bit of shade, it likes a richer and more moisture-retentive soil than many of the Mediterranean herbs, and in my garden at least is prone to carrot fly attack (same family as carrots and parsnips) which can seriously stunt or even kill it, so it might be worth your while taking the precaution of covering with enviromesh or similar.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

missmoneypenny

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 09:11 »
Thanks everyone. I think I'll try partial shade this year then and plant lots maybe in 2 different sites.

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 09:19 »
My plot neighbour sows a whole packet in a row around Aug/Sept, anywhere he has room & it grows really well. Unfortunately I've yet to copy him but maybe this year,although he kindly lets me pick as much as I need. I don't like to be greedy though so usually have 2/3 small bunches over the winter.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Parsley

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 29, 2017, 16:59
by JayG
xx
parsley

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 27, 2021, 16:54
by jaydig
xx
Parsley Help

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 27, 2020, 18:40
by Vagabond
xx
Parsley

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 14, 2013, 23:00
by Eblana

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 40 queries.