GG's going into detox.

• 25 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Re: GG's going into detox.
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2020, 09:17 »
We all wish you well and are here for you. It's so brave to admit in public you've a problem which shows you have the courage to cope.
Getting proper help is important. I've lost some good friends to addiction. If it helps, think of the effect on your loved ones. And don't forget, if you 'fall off the wagon' - you can get back on.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2020, 09:36 »
Realising and admitting you have a problem is half of the battle, or so I've heard so Very Well Done.
Hope yesterday went well and your getting support.

Debz

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2020, 12:30 »
Congratulations on realising you have a problem and taking steps to deal with it.  It's a brave person that can make that announcement in public.  Please know that we are all here to support you on your steps to recovery.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2020, 12:49 »
Having now announced it to us all, which as everybody has said is VERY brave, you now have got to do it !!!! because we all want to know and help.    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Goosegirl

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2020, 14:25 »
Jaydig, I've just copied something wot you rote which is: "This is an illness not a lifestyle choice." These are such profound words which I'll take under my goosewings to keep them near me when I need their wisdom. My wonderful GP grabbed me the only appointment left for an NHS-based dependency unit so I can have a jolly good chat on a one-to-one basis however she warned me not to go cold turkey because you can get very ill if you do. It didn't help that I've got a real bourgoier of a cold so the only way I know how to deal with that is a large glass of tinctures and watch another Poirot DVD accompanied by a warm fire, my OH, cats and some soup. I don't consider myself as being brave because I'm just someone who needs a lot of help and support, but I posted this because I want to help others in the same situation.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

jaydig

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2020, 14:37 »
GG - It's true that you shouldn't go cold turkey.  Our son's tipple of choice is vodka, but when we were trying to help him to come off it I bought him some cans of lager which isn't as potent, but prevents the system going into shock and organ damage through lack of alcohol.  I'm sure you will get the right sort of guidance going forward, and everyone's journey is different, but never forget that a slip isn't a failure, just a bump along the road to recovery.  I forgot to mention that if you feel low at any time, try picking the phone up to Samaritans. They are non-judgemental, and really good listeners. We tried to get our son to talk to them, but he wouldn't, but the next day I had a call from them myself, and it was the gentleman I had spoke to initially, who was so concerned about me, because I was very low and upset myself when I rang them, that he had rung back to check that I was ok, and to suggest that perhaps I needed help too, and that I was to ring any time I needed support. They aren't intrusive at all, but just another helping hand if you need it.

snowdrops

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2020, 16:32 »
GG - It's true that you shouldn't go cold turkey.  Our son's tipple of choice is vodka, but when we were trying to help him to come off it I bought him some cans of lager which isn't as potent, but prevents the system going into shock and organ damage through lack of alcohol.  I'm sure you will get the right sort of guidance going forward, and everyone's journey is different, but never forget that a slip isn't a failure, just a bump along the road to recovery.  I forgot to mention that if you feel low at any time, try picking the phone up to Samaritans. They are non-judgemental, and really good listeners. We tried to get our son to talk to them, but he wouldn't, but the next day I had a call from them myself, and it was the gentleman I had spoke to initially, who was so concerned about me, because I was very low and upset myself when I rang them, that he had rung back to check that I was ok, and to suggest that perhaps I needed help too, and that I was to ring any time I needed support. They aren't intrusive at all, but just another helping hand if you need it.

There’s also Silverline if you just need an anonymous chat, they have a befriending service too where a ‘friend’ will contact you once a week/month or so to just chat, they don’t know your number or you theirs or where you live etc, it goes through a call centre, there’s a chap in our gardening club that is a volunteer for them & we thought it so worthwhile we made them our charity of the year a few years ago
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

jaydig

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2020, 17:12 »
I didn't know about Silverline, that's very useful information Snowy.  Thanks

snowdrops

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2020, 19:18 »
Jaydig, it was set up by Esther Rantzen after she was widowed & realised how lonely she got.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2020, 19:48 »
My very best wishes GG. AS everyone says, you have taken the first step which is usually the most difficult. Now, it's one step at a time until you reach your goal. We're all rooting for you!!! XXXXXX

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2020, 22:10 »
Just to add my words of support, GG.

Well done on acknowledging that you have a problem and for seeking help.  We're behind you every step of the way, and reach out to whatever support you need whenever you need it.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
GG's going into a detox centre on Monday.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post June 22, 2020, 07:49
by MrsPea

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 50 queries.