New allotment t&cs

• 22 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: New allotment t&cs
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2020, 09:47 »
Apparently, all householders have a duty of care to dispose of waste according to gov rules. This means composting of grass cuttings etc must be done within your own boundaries and waste food (which includes peelings) must go to the official site..... daft innit? I'm sure government weren't really worried about allotment compost bins when that was written - but, as we know, rules are rules and have to be followed to the umpteenth degree   :lol: :lol:
 :mellow:

snowdrops

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2020, 16:38 »
Hmm rather I hadn’t read that as I take my cooked food waste to the plot & put it in my Green Johanna sealed bin minus bones after having to sieve them all out one time upon emptying it. This was just after Richard 3rd had been reinterred (I live in Leicestershire  :lol:) & my mum pointed out I could be sieving them out for the next 500 years ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
All my garden waste & kitchen peelings go to the plot & will continue to do so as I have 5 1mx1m x 1 m compost bins & they needed feeding regularly  :D. I hope our council doesn’t come up with these terms etc.
There must be some reason they’ve introduced it & I do hope you find out why & keep us updated. As the site rep you would think they’d discuss this sort of thing with you prior to changing things wouldn’t you?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2020, 16:44 »
Well, knowing our site rep, this rule would never be upheld on our site, providing we're not attracting rats with cooked waste. The amount of grass clippings he brings is enormous!

Growster...

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2020, 07:27 »
Just checked TWBC website and here's all they say about food waste: -

What happens to the collected food waste?
The food waste is taken to a local facility where it is composted using a natural process, which means it is safe to use as a soil improver on local farmers' fields. If you already compost at home, please continue to do so. You can use your food waste collections for any food that you do not want to compost yourself.

So what's the difference between composting at home, or composting on your allotment?

Answers on a Waitrose compostible bag, not to be confused with a similar-looking one from Twongos or Borrisons, Mazda or Widl (?), which won't compost for a hundred years or so, and will clog up the environment even more than it does now!

I can imagine all our hard-working farmers doing high kicks when a pile of that sort of stuff arrives to cheers from the environmentalists and happy bunnies prancing all around - with plastic in their teeth...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2020, 08:50 »
daft innit? I'm sure government weren't really worried about allotment compost bins when that was written - but, as we know, rules are rules and have to be followed to the umpteenth degree   :lol: :lol:
 :mellow:

:lol:  Yeah right.  I'll be lying awake at night worrying about that rule  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2020, 08:57 »
So what's the difference between composting at home, or composting on your allotment?
Because, obviously as a humble householder, you do not have the necessary permit/registration to transport the waste materials you wish to compost..
mwahahaha!

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2020, 11:33 »
Because, obviously as a humble householder, you do not have the necessary permit/registration to transport the waste materials you wish to compost..
mwahahaha!

By that logic surely we're not permitted to take any of our waste to the tip and it must be taken a licensed waste carrier? A can of worms is being opened!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2020, 11:42 »
By that logic surely we're not permitted to take any of our waste to the tip and it must be taken a licensed waste carrier? A can of worms is being opened!
Tell me about it - I've given up discussing it with them as I was getting nowhere  ::)

Think I'll lock this now before I say something I shouldn't ..

xx
new to me allotment

Started by Debz on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post April 06, 2018, 19:39
by snowdrops
question
Legal Help - who can have an allotment?

Started by Girly HR Gardener on Chatting on the Plot

15 Replies
Last post June 26, 2023, 20:35
by Yorkie
xx
Allotment Fees

Started by Enfield Glen on Chatting on the Plot

12 Replies
Last post May 16, 2022, 11:45
by pdblake
xx
Allotment Thefts

Started by jaydig on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post June 18, 2020, 19:36
by jezza

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 48 queries.