Night time ventilation

• 13 Replies

Lardman

Night time ventilation
« on: July 22, 2014, 09:52 »
Im leaving the side vent open at the moment over night, but there's a lot of condensation on the glass in the mornings. The autovent is obviously closing itself but I'm thinking about leaving the door and other window open to improve air flow. Is anyone leaving things open at night if so how are you keeping the 4 legged wildlife out ?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Night time ventilation
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 09:57 »
I take out the top triangle of glass at the back, at this time of year, and leave the door open a couple of inches - so the cats can't get in  ;)

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 13:22 »
For the last week or so we've been leaving the doors completely open on the greenhouses.
One house doesn't have an autovent (self built by previous occupants) and the other only has a roof vent.
As a result, on sunny days both can be 40+ by 9am .... far too hot!
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 14:43 »
I can leave the window open without issue but the door, even a couple of inches would be asking for trouble... It's a shame they don't make the doors like stable doors.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 15:08 »
I use a sheet of plastic coated metal netting over the door day and night and wedge it in place with the dustbin I use to store compost in.  I've also used a bag of compost standing on its end before now.

Its a solid piece of stuff that stands upright on its own without needing to be fixed, not the stuff you can buy on a roll. 

At the moment, I leaving the door wide open at night.  The mesh is big enough to let the bees in and out, but keeps cats and the foxes out.  I'm sure mice could get in, but had no trouble with them  :)

cadalot

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 15:27 »
A dog cage was donated to me and I took it apart and use the panels fixed to the framework of the greenhouse on the allotment with bulldog clips to make the opening fox resistant so I can leave the door open, the width I leave open depends on how hot it's likely to be.

There is an automatic vent on the window in the roof at the back and this way I get air flow and the temperature is reduced. I have also used bulldog clips to fix debris netting which I water when I go down there to aid in reducing the temperature. 
2014-07-17 Door Grill.jpg

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 15:39 »
Auto-opener does the window, I do the door when I remember, although when it's as warm as this night and day it's mostly wide open all the time.

Lots of cats round here but they always have that shifty air when in my garden as if they know they're 'trespassing', probably because some local people don't tolerate them as readily as I do!  :unsure:

For that reason I'd be surprised if one risked going into the greenhouse, which is almost next to the house, and I can't really imagine what damage it might do if it did, although I expect someone is about to put me well and truly in the picture on that score!  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

jaydig

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 17:10 »
I don't know about ventilating greenhouse, I'm seriously considering sleeping on the lawn!

Asherweef

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 21:25 »
My greenhouse hasn't been closed for about 4 weeks now. Vents constantly open and window on autovent perma-open.

I did make the mistake of installing vent and window over each other though.

wrinkly1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 21:36 »
 :)i leave both end doors open at both end/s. the missus ran me up 2 old net curtains up . i can pull them aside on my poly. and fit them back at night. i get a flow of air through all night and no condensation or animals . cheers wrinkly 1,

3759allen

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 22:42 »
both my doors have been open over night in my poly tunnel for months now. they have to be open overnight early in the season as i work odd shifts and it's cold when i get in and scorching by time i get up.

i do have trouble with cats, i will try and sort a similar grid or netting as mentioned above for next year.

beesrus

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 10:15 »
I leave the door wide open as soon as frosts have gone end of May. Every year, I rarely close it then until the middle of September. I try to ensure the temperature difference bewtween day and night is minimal, and don't really need it to be scorching. I grow cukes/toms/chillies/squash/basil and carrots in there this time of year. I do get the odd bird flapping around, but not much in the way of animals doing any damage. I have a two feet high piece of plastic covering the bottom of the doorway though in June/July to bamboozle any wandering carrot fly that might accidentally drop by.

Goosegirl

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 11:14 »
I do the same as beesrus and it works for me. All my plants for outside have been  hardened off so all I have in there are sweet corn, dwarf and climbing French beans and some tagetes for whitefly.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Lardman

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 11:31 »
I pegged some debris netting over the doorway with line pegs as a temp measure (bit ugly though) but does the job.  I might build something a bit nicer looking in the dark winter months.  :wub:

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 40 queries.