Using Insecticides/pesticides

• 16 Replies

Eblana

Using Insecticides/pesticides
« on: September 26, 2012, 12:56 »
Does anyone know if a chemical that is listed on the Defra list of approved chemicals for use in the Agriculture Sector as an Insecticide/pesticide can be used on an allotment. 

We have all been wondering why one of our neighbours has fabulous Brassicas and gooseberries which escaped the pests that got all of ours only to discover that he is using a chemical insecticide on them - we are not organic so no issue there but some others would like to use it as well if it is legal to do so.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Using Insecticides/pesticides
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 13:02 »
Depending on the chemical or product, they are often only licensed for use by suitably trained professionals, in which case the location may not be an issue, or by landowners such as farmers, in which case it is self explanatory and location based.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 14:05 »
This is only my opinion but if you're going to use pesticides etc why not save the bother and just go to the supermarket??

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 14:12 »
some people just enjoy the process of growing them, and would rather have something to eat at the end of the process, than let it be spoilt.

Not everyone strives to be organic although that is some people's choice :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 14:21 »
This is only my opinion but if you're going to use pesticides etc why not save the bother and just go to the supermarket??

Because you are in control of how much goes on. You don't do it as a matter of routine "in case", you do it because you need to.

But if you want to go to the supermarket to eat bland veg that you don't know what's been sprayed with, you are also free to do that.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Eblana

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 14:26 »
Thanks for the replies folks - I checked with the guys from the pest control company in work and it is indeed only licenced for professional application so best leave it be. ;)

Only thinking about using it because we were all so disheartened that we were the ones having to go to the supermarket to buy veg because it had been eaten by pests while he had lovely crops  :( :(- just have to keep squishing I guess. ::)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 15:00 »
Allotment growers can only use products that are licensed for Amateurs - which is similar to what arugula said (only the other way round).

A very good pesitcide for amateur use is Provado Ultimate Bug Killer but do read the label before use.

savbo

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 16:40 »
if it's the person not the place that is permitted to use certain chemicals, that would suggest the chemicals can be used on allotments if there is a suitably qualified person applying them?

where's my PA6 certificate?

(only joking - it lapsed 10 years ago and I'm Nearly Organic)

sav

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 16:42 »
But you are quite correct.  It is the person not the place !

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 03:09 »
I've made net tents for my brassicas and they are really good except for a little slug damage.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

pink aubergine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 20:49 »
Organic insecticidal soap, which you can get from garden centres and also the Organic Catalogue in larger quantities to water down, works against most insects- aphids , red spider mite, etc and other bugs.
 No need to wait before cropping, safe and does the job, one spray for everything! I use on flowers, fruit, veg and polytunnel.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 21:12 »
I've made net tents for my brassicas and they are really good except for a little slug damage.

Me too.  The only few holes I got in my cabbages must have been a few slugs, but not pigeon or caterpillar damage!

Sideshoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 06:51 »
Thanks for the replies folks - I checked with the guys from the pest control company in work and it is indeed only licenced for professional application so best leave it be. ;)

Only thinking about using it because we were all so disheartened that we were the ones having to go to the supermarket to buy veg because it had been eaten by pests while he had lovely crops  :( :(- just have to keep squishing I guess. ::)

or.....you could be proactive and ask him to give yours a little spray, flutter your eye lashes at him and he'll probably spray your whole plot lol ;-)

Puenktchen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 12:31 »
Does anyone know if a chemical that is listed on the Defra list of approved chemicals for use in the Agriculture Sector as an Insecticide/pesticide can be used on an allotment. 

We have all been wondering why one of our neighbours has fabulous Brassicas and gooseberries which escaped the pests that got all of ours only to discover that he is using a chemical insecticide on them - we are not organic so no issue there but some others would like to use it as well if it is legal to do so.

What sort of pests have eaten your Brassicas?. You can protect your Brassicas from a lot of pests without using chemicals. The best is netting, as mentioned above. It protects from pigeons and cabbage white caterpillars. But for the cabbage whites you need netting with small holes as otherwise the butterflies just squeeze through. I don`t spray any chemicals on my allotment, I just have netted the Brassicas and they are really nice  (just a few holes in the outer leaves from slugs but I can live with this).

Eblana

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 15:34 »
Cabbage white, slugs and bird - I am assuming that they are squeezing through the netting >:(.  Was thinking of the chemical route in a moment of weakness!! ::) I will try to track down some closer mesh net for next year.  The BS's seem to be recovering (thankfully as the kids would be very disappointed if they had none on that special day) but the cabbage etc. is a wipeout.

xx
WHAT PESTICIDES DO YOU USE

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post April 18, 2011, 20:27
by Christine
xx
Pesticides

Started by green fingers on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 10, 2008, 20:19
by green fingers
xx
insecticides?

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 26, 2011, 19:34
by sunshineband
xx
homemade insecticides

Started by Ilovesproutsbest on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 21, 2010, 21:03
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 33 queries.