dalek and composter query?

• 18 Replies

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: dalek and composter query?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 21:21 »
One of the little known laws of physics is that despite appearances it's not possible to actually fill a dalek.
Maybe the ought to be called a Tardis rather than a Dalek. ;) :lol:
Cheese makes everything better.

Bing

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 21:51 »
Don't worry about big quantities of veggie waste no matter how many times you fill your dalek it won't stay full. Mine was overfull, lid balanced on top full, at least 6 times last year now it's barely half full awaiting emptying. One of the little known laws of physics is that despite appearances it's not possible to actually fill a dalek.

I nominate you for the Nobel Prize for the greatest discovery of allotment history. :D
Rain at night, sunshine all day long!

stompy

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 08:51 »
Can't you cover the wet wood with something rain proof then when we get a dry spell uncover it until it's dry enough to burn?

QUOTE by Savbo
I know this is probably really obvious, but when I started composting I spent ages and a lot of energy ripping dry cardboard up...until someone pointed out that if you leave it in the rain it can be pulled apart easily. 

Never crossed my mind to do this even though after Christmas all the cardboard boxes outside were soaked and broke up when putting them in our blue recycling bin  ::)

What a great bit of simple advice  :lol:

bigben

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 09:48 »
If you have a free supply of horse manure then this will provide you with most of what you need to improve your soil.

You could build a pile of it next to your compost bin and use it to add layers in the bin of manure, green garden stuff and cardboard/paper.

I agree about getting another dalek so once one is full the other can be filled. I have 2 and a pallet bin on my allotment. I tend to use the daleks to cook the weeds then add this to the pallet bin. I found just adding weeds to the pallet bin led to some of them continuing to grow as there is enough light getting through and my pallet bin is not very warm.

xx
EMPTYING THE DALEK

Started by DIGGER on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post September 24, 2008, 22:08
by wighty
clip
Hot bin and Dalek composters

Started by pepsi100 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 24, 2023, 00:41
by pepsi100
xx
Manure in a dalek

Started by Cake Lady on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 01, 2012, 20:14
by gavinjconway
xx
Slugs in compost Dalek

Started by Gleavo on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 19, 2012, 09:07
by JayG

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 33 queries.