Broadbeans and sugarsnaps. Picking and cooking

• 6 Replies

cc

Broadbeans and sugarsnaps. Picking and cooking
« on: June 27, 2022, 14:31 »
So neighbour tells me you can pick sugarsnaps for the peas or eat whole pod. Upto now i have been eating whole pod. But have been waiting for the peas to be visible.
So should I pick them before the peas show ie still flat if I am going to eat the whole pod?
Broadbeans, neighbour insist I should parboil before freezing.  Upto now I haven't bothered, seemed nice enough.  Also some people supposedly remove the green skin? Anyone else do that and does it make a significant difference to the flavour??

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: Broadbeans and sugarsnaps. Picking and cooking
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022, 15:33 »
I can't give advice on broad beans, but sugar snaps I always pick when the peas are under-developed in the pod.  This is my personal preference, it seems to give a more tender, sweeter pod.

You can always let the peas develop more on a few, vs. the less developed ones, see which you prefer.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 16:14 »
For broad beans the normal guidance is that you only need to remove the skins from larger old beans. The young ones can be eaten without peeling. Parboiling or not probably depends on how much time you have and how many you are processing.
For the peas I would opt to eat the pods without very visible peas. But as with subversive that’s a personal preference.
Keep digging

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 20:15 »
I do briefly parboil veg before freezing.  It is OK to eat if you don’t, but blanching slows the loss of vitamins and also the enzyme action that can make veg deteriorate.  Freezing slows both processes down and blanching slows them down even further.  It is also important to cool the veg down fast after they come out of the boiling water. 

I did a load of broad beans the other day with 2 pans.  Strain the boiling water from 1 pan into the other, so ready for the next batch and get the strained beans under the cold tap.  Once you get going it is a pretty quick job to do  :)

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 22:26 »
I'll add that my favorite way to eat sugar snaps is as a fresh raw salad ingredient.  That is probably part of the reason for the immature pod preference.

lettice

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2022, 08:44 »
With broad beans, they crop so madly, you just have to freeze some.
I have not parboiled any veg for a good decade or more.
Freezers are so more energy efficient and fast freeze works very well these days, that they freeze instantly and for me all veg I freeze stays crisp, good colour and fresh.
Found broad beans to be great frozen too.
We always save a yogurt pot with lid of small one to kept for having over with our Christmas Turkey. They are always lovely.
I use yogurt pots with lids for many veg, as they stack and sit easily in your freezer trays.
Cut parsnips, carrots, french beans, rhubarb, gooseberries all do well in them.
I do though have larger cereal pour and store tubs for the likes of peas and sweetcorn.
I also have ice cream tubs that through the summer I fill with spare strawberries and raspberries and take some neighbours other fruits that I do not grow like blackberries, black/red currants for use over the winter in cakes, puddings and mixed with homemade yogurt.

One veg I did do many years ago, was runner beans, but they just did not freeze the best.
Also, spinach is a good reliable one to freeze, but as I have pickings through the year, there is no point.

lettice

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 08:53 »
I used to grow Kennedy Mangetout a few years ago, but moved to Sugarsnaps and eat like Mangetout.
Do find some pods that are fat full of peas and do just split them and open up for peas, eating them as I see them. The peas are very sweet. But prefer to grow them as a reliable and tasty Mangetout type and grow a normal pea type for peas.

What I like about Sugar snaps, is you get an early crop that for me the Spring planted crop is just finishing and I have another tray of them in the greenhouse to go out for a summer/autumn picking.
That never worked for traditional Mangetout.
Sugar snaps like mangetout I just steam for about five minutes and are tasty and crunchy. But also, can be eaten straight from the plant without any cooking, once top/tailed.

xx
Will rabbits go for squash? And another one on sugarsnaps/mangetout

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 12, 2011, 20:23
by shokkyy
xx
broadbeans

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 02, 2008, 20:06
by gobs
xx
Broadbeans

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 20, 2013, 14:54
by barley
xx
Broadbeans

Started by BOYDO on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 02, 2009, 15:35
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 43 queries.