Don't know whats dead or alive in my garden...

• 18 Replies

Trillium

Re: Don't know whats dead or alive in my garden...
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 15:09 »
Clematis can surprise you. I had one in a pot that died off, literally, nothing above ground in mid summer. So I figured I'd just toss the pot soil into the flower bed. To my surprise the clematis root was still looking quite healthy so I planted it. Nothing at all that year, but next year I got a brand new clematis coming up. So, just because the top may appear dead doesn't always mean the roots have had it.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 12:11 »
I would give them a light trip to see if there is any green in their stems.  I had a climatis that I thought was dead, but when I cut it back a bit, saw green in stems.  It is growing profusely now.  Another idea is to give it some fertilizer to wake it up. 
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Trillium

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 16:29 »
...and, some clematis types need cutting back each year to envigorate them. If you know the variety name, google to see if this type needs a full or partial cutting back.

TheOnlyGothInTheVillage

• Experienced Member
    • ThePatchWorkLady
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 16:44 »
oh dear, just cut back the clematis, no sign of green at all, have cut all it right back, just in case the roots do something, theres a new small plant growing right next to it (might be a weed though, gardens full of them) would it pop out more shoots from the roots through the soil? if the main stems died off?
(am grasping at straws methinks...lol
have planted lots of sweet peas, so I'll have some greenery about the garden this year, need to get or propergate some roses really, more suitable and they seem to like the heavy clay & stone soil we've got here...

xx
Whats your favourite garden plants?

Started by freyaluck on General Gardening

18 Replies
Last post April 16, 2008, 15:24
by Hazel Anne
xx
Help Keep Allotments Alive & Well Petition

Started by Teen76 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post March 12, 2008, 21:34
by Teen76
xx
Are they dead

Started by sclarke624 on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post May 12, 2009, 20:06
by topgardener
xx
Is my hedge dead

Started by Grubbypaws on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post February 05, 2011, 14:16
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 39 queries.