Poorly Goslings - growing up and moving out.

• 96 Replies

snowdrops

Re: Poorly Gosling - Sad news.
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2013, 21:28 »
Oh Kate I am so sorry he didn't make it,but he couldn't have had any one fight harder for him than you.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2013, 23:16 »
 :( so sorry. Been following his story x

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2013, 07:32 »
You really did do everything you possibly could for little William to give him a chance, but it was obviously not to be  :(  At least he had a bit of time with you and couldn't have been better looked after  :)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2013, 10:22 »
Thank you so much everyone. Still really sad but glad he had a bit of time on the grass and in the sunshine.

The vet had previously suggested that if one of them died sending for a post mortem which might help the others but I couldn't quite bring myself to do it so he is buried in the little wildflower meadow at the bottom of the garden with a big clump of pink and purple aguilegia to mark him.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2013, 10:34 »
I love the little bonnets on aquilegia they remind me of fairies hats so he will be safe with the fairies looking over him.   ;)

I hope this hasn't put you off though, they must be a rare breed as I couldn't see many on line when I looked last week.  We will be keeping our fingers crossed for your remaining two.   :) 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

pepsi100

« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2013, 10:34 »
Thats nice, a place to remember hin by :(

BUT now how are the rest getting on ?

Getting big now I hope :)

(were these geese or more ganders ?)

Have they started to get scruffy yet ?  :)  (new feathers?)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 10:37 by pepsi100 »
It's all about the journey, not the destination

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2013, 19:35 »
The others are doing well so far. Still seem a little puffed at times but they are growing like mad. The slightly older one has just got the beginnings of her big girl feathers coming through but haven't reached that adolescent scruffy stage. :tongue2:

Debz

« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2013, 09:34 »
So sorry to hear about William.  He couldn't have asked for a more attentive owner in the short life he had.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2013, 16:41 »
Well the 2 remaining girls seem to be doing very well and are growing at a pace. Charlotte is still a lot bigger but she is also 2 days older and didn't seem to be as ill. Matilda for renamed Flora by my mum as she really likes eating the heads off buttercups and dandelions (Flora, not my mum!). It does suit her much better.

Took them back to the vets on Tues for a check up as I didn't really trust myself as was getting very paranoid after William died. The vet said he if didn't know their history he would have said they were completely normal healthy goslings. :D

I have to commend our vets - Border Vets in Oswestry, especially Ken McBrien, who were fab. I couldn't have asked for a better service. Not always easy to find good poultry vets as many of us know but think without them would have probably lost all 3. More touchingly they really seemed to care about them which is always really nice.

Now I just need to find a boy or two to keep them company next year ;)

pepsi100

Re: Poorly Gosling - looking up.
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2013, 16:48 »
this is great news, I was going to ask how the others were getting on, glad things are going well

will it be another hatch or are you going to buy a gander ?

I hope William hasnt put you off hatching eggs  ;)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2013, 18:04 »
Really pleased the two girls are fit and well  :D

I think we may need updated pictures just to put us totally at ease you know  ;)  :)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2013, 20:36 »
Think I'm going to buy a gander and then hatch my own next year!

Would like to find goslings of a suitable age to bring up with the girls but that may be difficult with a rare breed especially trying to find unrelated animals. if i can't find goslings will look to buy an adult gander in the autumn.

It has been a bit traumatic hatching but think I will have forgotten all about that by next year and the joy of having the goslings definitely outweighs the heartache.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2013, 23:10 »
That is good news Kate, glad they are doing well.  The only ones I have seen advertised are in Wales so it would depend how far you can travel for them.  Good luck with your search.

Your vet sounds really good and it is always a comfort to know you will get good treatment when you have an ill bird.  You can put the details on the Poultry Friendly Vets thread HERE and hopefully others who need a good vet will go to them.   ;)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2013, 17:20 »
Well they look better and better at the moment. They are out all day pretty much now while we are in. Not entirely sure what I am going to do next week. They have a nice big are to roam but they can get out through the fencing at the moment due to size and not entirely sure they are crow or feral cat proof yet so think they will have to stay in the moveable run which is a bit small but better they are safe.

Flora had a very funny moment today when a friend visited with her dog and she hissed at it like a proper goose!

pepsi100

« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2013, 17:27 »
That is great news (dont know if the dog thought the same) they'l soon be geting into the grass then :) :)

xx
Egg moving

Started by grinling on Chicken Chat

13 Replies
Last post June 11, 2013, 16:57
by Tigerwren
xx
the hens are moving in

Started by vegypete on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post September 03, 2012, 12:31
by nerdle
xx
Moving ducks

Started by knoxxie on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post October 06, 2010, 20:20
by orchardlady
xx
Egg moving update

Started by grinling on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post June 14, 2013, 16:02
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 41 queries.