Poorly Goslings - growing up and moving out.

• 96 Replies

Kate and her Ducks

Poorly Goslings - growing up and moving out.
« on: May 18, 2013, 21:22 »
Well the goslings are a bit over a week now  but sadly the first little boy out is really poorly with pneumonia.

I noticed yesterday morning that the smaller one that hatched on the same day had overtaken him in growth. Yesterday evening he seemed a bit hunched up and when cuddling him against my ear (he like to sit on my shoulder) I could hear his breathing was rattly. This morning took him to the vet who agreed he has pneumonia, gave him an IM injection (not easy in something weighing 134g) and we have antibiotics orally.

Amazingly difficult giving something 0.05ml when it doesn't want you to!

I think we can safely agree that foie gras is off the menu!

He seems a little brighter this evening and his breathing is less laboured. He has also had a little to eat which is an improvement. Keeping my fingers crossed as mortality is very high with pneumonia in goslings. The vet thinks he has a chance as we caught it early but will have to wait and see.

On the up side the little wobbly gosling that hatched late is doing brilliantly and is catching up quickly with the others.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 21:54 by Kate and her Ducks »
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Poorly Gosling.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 08:31 »
I've got my fingers crossed  :)  Hope he continues to improve  :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 09:34 »
At least you spotted it and he is getting early treatment.  If he had been on a large scale producers he wouldn't have had a chance.  Hope he pulls through.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 18:39 »
Well William (he had to have a name) seems a lot better today than yesterday. His respiratory rate has come right down to normal (20-30) from 60 breaths a minute yesterday and seems much less laboured. The horrible crackly noises coming from his chest when he breathed have also stopped.
He's stated to eat a bit more but he has lost a lot of weight and is now smaller than the one that hatched 2 days after him so he has a lot of eating to do if he is going to get over this but it's looking a lot better than yesterday.

ANHBUC

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 19:13 »
That is good news Kate, keeping my fingers crossed for William (will he get Bill for short  ::) :lol:) to make a speedy recovery.   ;)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 09:32 »
Bill is in the best hands with you Kate  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 21:16 »
Well the vet wanted me to give him a ring and let him know how William had got on over the weekend so I rang this morning. He was genuinely surprised that he had survived the weekend. Most goslings with pneumonia succumb in the 1st 24 hours apparently. I know the mortality is "high" but the vet told me this morning it is about 80% from his estimation.  I think its a sign of how unusual it is as he wants me to give him another update towards the end of the week. He also told me if I run out of antibiotics to let them know and he will have some waiting (think they didn't give me much as didn't think he would need it!!!)

He's a little stronger today although I could hear creps on his chest again this evening. His is eating better and has put on a little weight today but still not regained the weight he has lost yet. Still a bit wobbly but I guess he has survived that 1st 24 hours so hopefully will continue to improve.

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 10:59 »
He is a fighter then.  It is hard when you are doing all you can and have to watch them slowly getting better.  Hope we get some good weather so you can take him out on to some grass in the sunshine.  It always seems to help perk my chickens up.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 21:38 »
Well I'm not sure we are going to win this battle. He really isn't picking up although not particularly getting worse either. Seems like he hasn't got the energy to be running about eating and therefore he has no energy and so he doesn't eat.
He still only weighs 130-140g. His sister now weighs 375g!

I'm force feeding him which seems to be making a bit of difference but I think that if he doesn't turn the corner I'm going to lose him. Will keep going supplementing what he is taking under his own steam and see what happens.

Does anyone else have any experience of poorly goslings?

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 21:53 »
Oh poor William, I hope he picks up.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

ANHBUC

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 22:02 »
I have used pureed carrots, garlic, apple, with honey and water added to encourage the appetite back for poorly chicks/hens.  I hope her turns a corner and beats the odds.

splash101

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 22:37 »
I dont know if Avipro would help with him being so young.
Perhaps when you speak to the vet next ask if it would help. They should be able to supply it as well as they will use it in their practice, it not expensive either. Some pet shops will sell it too.

pepsi100

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 12:23 »
Is he still hanging in there ?
It's all about the journey, not the destination

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 19:18 »
He's still hanging in there.

I was so disappointed this morning when he had lost all the weight he gained yesterday with force feeding and seemed much the same. I was in work all day so couldn't give him anything extra after a few feeds first thing this morning so was really worried that he would lose more ground. This evening he actually seems a bit brighter. Eating more without needing to be forced and has put on more weight than yesterday already.

Too early to get too excited but looking more hopeful than yesterday.

pepsi100

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 19:27 »
Have to give him his due, he is a fighter, really hope he pulls through, if he does, hope he passes on those fighting genes

xx
Egg moving

Started by grinling on Chicken Chat

13 Replies
Last post June 11, 2013, 16:57
by Tigerwren
xx
Moving ducks

Started by knoxxie on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post October 06, 2010, 20:20
by orchardlady
xx
Egg moving update

Started by grinling on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post June 14, 2013, 16:02
by ANHBUC
xx
the hens are moving in

Started by vegypete on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post September 03, 2012, 12:31
by nerdle

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 41 queries.