What happened to the humble Sandwich ?

• 109 Replies

mrs bouquet

What happened to the humble Sandwich ?
« on: August 19, 2021, 13:13 »
At one time you could go into a pub and order rounds of sandwiches.  Nothing out of the way, but they were always full and cut into triangles and presented on a nice platter, maybe sprinkled with some cress.
Nowadays, Pubs have become so pretentious, that you can get cod and chips for £15.00  :ohmy:.   A sandwich -
Oh Madam please !!!!
Actually one of the pubs in our Village do lunch time sandwiches with 3 or 4 choices which have exciting fillings.   They are £7.99 and made on chefs own Forcaccia or farmhouse bread and come with a small salad around the plate and are huge.   You can get chips with them if you want.
Everywhere else a sandwich is a sad thing, in a cardboard box with little filling.    What a meal Deal. ::)
Bring back the proper sandwich.       Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Goosegirl

Re: What happened to the humble Sandwich ?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 14:24 »
Mmm. I've heard that some places tell their sandwich maker to pile all the fillings (such as they are) in the centre so when they are cut it looks much fuller than it actually is.  :mad:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 15:22 »
Aaaah sandwiches - the perfect meal in my opinion!

Pub sandwiches had to take over from the disaster of British Rail awfuls, which were boring, stale, dry, fillingless, bent, and dreadful.

Pret a Manger started a new 'craze', and others followed of course, because we all like a nice sarni when the time's right! Office dwellers love them!

Pubs try to make them 'more attractive' by plonking extras like apple, etc., on the plate, but in my opinion, a decent sandwich in a pub should be just the thing, maybe with a bit of tomato, possib;y Branston, and nothing else!

Mumofstig - 'The Swan' In Tufton Street used to do a fabulous Ploughmans lunch for 1/6 (7.5p), back in the sixties...

What more can a lady and gent desire more (at lunchtime, that is ;0) - than a decent, well-prepared sandwich!

GraciesGran

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2021, 07:17 »
Many a long year ago we would take sandwiches when we went out with my parents.  My dad made them, cheese and beetroot (his favourite) and cucumber and marmite.  I can still remember how good they tasted.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2021, 07:25 »
Have to admit that I've never had a beetroot sandwich! Dunno why, it's just never occurred to me, even though I just love beetroot!

A basic cheese and tom sandwich is a requirement here, every other day perhaps...

Plus ordinary salad cream - not mayo!

jaydig

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2021, 12:22 »
The only two things I have ever craved on foreign holidays, and which prove impossible to get are a cheese and onion sandwich and beans on toast.  Funny how you miss the simple things that we take for granted. Mrs B - I'm sure that pubs and cafes are missing a trick here.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2021, 17:19 »
 ... Well, like it or not, I end up with a serving of humble pie every once in a while!  :lol:

Sandwiches are not hard to find here.  Whether it's a Reuben, muffaletta, hamburger, Po' boy, soft shell crab, pimento cheese . . . there are a lot of varieties.  You just need to know where to go to get what you want.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2021, 18:57 »
Mrs Growster and I had a sandwich the size of a small elephant, in 'The Old Post Office' in Washington DC!

The chap selling it was delightful, and when we asked for two 'enormous Buds', he nearly collapsed with laughter, and so did we! (It was an exceedingly hot day)!

We had to share just one sandwich - they were just so enormous and we'd watched him do one for a customer before us...

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2021, 22:58 »
... Well, like it or not, I end up with a serving of humble pie every once in a while!  :lol:

Sandwiches are not hard to find here.  Whether it's a Reuben, muffaletta, hamburger, Po' boy, soft shell crab, pimento cheese . . . there are a lot of varieties.  You just need to know where to go to get what you want.

Now you're talking PROPER sandwiches, not rubbish cardboard UK muck ;)

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2021, 06:49 »
I founded a networking club in London back in the nineties. It started with a basic requirement of beer or wine, and salt beef sandwiches, which we obtained and consumed in 'The Argyll' pub just off Oxford Circus. The sandwiches were to die for, and as we only had four/six/eight of us at a time, our lunches were supreme.

The club grew quickly and now has hundreds of members, and rents a hostelry in the city, but it all started with yours truly - but no salt-beef sandwiches any more, just boring finger food...

GraciesGran

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2021, 07:20 »
Just eaten a bacon and tomato sandwich for my breakfast, lovely.

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2021, 12:10 »
Not sure if what I’ve just eaten will count Mrs B but I’ve just had a BLT for an early lunch, but it had mayo,cucumber (why not when I’ve got a glut lol) but it was on a whole meal soft pitta bread, & it was lovely, in fact I could manage another but won’t  :unsure:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2021, 13:10 »
Pitta is a great way to have a sandwich, isn't it!

I've been on those all week, with a sprinkling of water and an oven blast, then a handful of cheese and a lump of butter chucked in while still warm...

MrsPea

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2021, 15:17 »
Pitta is a great way to have a sandwich, isn't it!

I've been on those all week, with a sprinkling of water and an oven blast, then a handful of cheese and a lump of butter chucked in while still warm...
  That sounds good and something different, i'm fed up with finding things for lunch any more ideas ??
I Love my green house

snowdrops

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2021, 15:47 »
I quite like the Warburton thins too, I had fresh crab in one of the pitta’s the other day, that was rather nice  :)

xx
The not so humble woodlouse

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post September 15, 2021, 12:38
by Goosegirl
xx
Supermarket carrots, ever happened to you?

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post June 05, 2023, 19:23
by hamstergbert
clip
amazing thing that happened last week

Started by al78 on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post June 09, 2021, 10:36
by Aunt Sally
xx
What has happened to traditional Nativity Plays?

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post December 15, 2018, 22:10
by andreadon

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 54 queries.