Fishing Season 2019/2020

• 43 Replies

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Fishing Season 2019
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2019, 21:02 »
out on Monday hoping to christen the new rod I got for Christmas, its been out 3 times now and blanked every time. Will have my old favourite with me as well just in case.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2019, 18:50 »
A trip upto Bank House near Lancaster today in glorious sunshine.
Thought as it was warm buzzers would be on the menu. No!
Tried all sorts and was thinking a blank was on the books then around dinner they started to come up onto the surface so put a sedge on and bang, 2.8lbs on the bank, had some great fun with them but couldnt hook then hooked a 3.8lbs and then another and another. 4 fish caught and great fun, chap was watching as he wasnt catching owt so he asked what I was using, showed him the sedge so he was changing it as I left. New rod has finaly been christened.

8doubles

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2019, 14:14 »
Tried all sorts and was thinking a blank was on the books then around dinner they started to come up onto the surface so put a sedge on and bang, 2.8lbs on the bank, had some great fun with them but couldnt hook then hooked a 3.8lbs and then another and another. 4 fish caught and great fun, chap was watching as he wasnt catching owt so he asked what I was using, showed him the sedge so he was changing it as I left. New rod has finaly been christened.
I would not have considered putting on a sedge pattern this early in the year, always been a summer fly for me on the rivers .
Thinking more on it if the going is hard it is never a bad thing to have some thing trout pellet like on the line, or white and bread like if the ducks are being fed ! ;)

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2019, 13:33 »
I would not have considered putting on a sedge pattern this early in the year, always been a summer fly for me on the rivers .
Thinking more on it if the going is hard it is never a bad thing to have some thing trout pellet like on the line, or white and bread like if the ducks are being fed ! ;)
To be honest it was the only dry I had in my box, I took mainly nympths and buzzers, couple of lures and the one sedge.

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2019, 21:21 »
There seems to be a number of old arguments/ opinions on Flourocarbon on some sites.
I use it without any problems thus far, 8lbs for big flies and 5lbs for buzzer on some waters and the 8lbs on others.
What do you lot use?

8doubles

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2019, 08:33 »
There seems to be a number of old arguments/ opinions on Flourocarbon on some sites.
I use it without any problems thus far, 8lbs for big flies and 5lbs for buzzer on some waters and the 8lbs on others.
What do you lot use?

Never had a problem with fluro but before that i used the Drennan double strength and a lot of people did not get on with that !
As long as you are careful with your knots , wet them properly before tightening etc fluro is fine just not as elastic as nylon mono.

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2019, 18:24 »
I find the Rapala knot works well, great for movement of the fly in the water.
When I tested a length using weighing scales and pulling it it snapped just below BS, no real difference to Drennan DS.
As you say needs a little bit more care when tying.

Aled

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2019, 15:58 »
Had a few hours fresh air on Sunday morning, and took my brother, his 2 children, and my 2 children to the River Tywi, my best pal turned up as well. Caught 2 trout, great to see my niece Ffion catch her first fish a Brown Trout of around 12ozs which was eaten for breakfast the following morning!
Tight Lines
Aled

MarkC

Re: Fishing Season 2019/2020
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2019, 09:19 »
Managed two short sessions on local river for brownies a week or so ago before the heatwave and drought fully set in. Despite coolish easterly wind I had great sport with wild brownies in the 9-12" range, with the best one about 13" and pushing 1lb. Also got a surprise when I hooked and landed a rainbow of about 1.5lb - no idea how it got there - must have escaped from somewhere....despite being twice the size of the brownies it fought like a wet cement sack....

Been dry here for over two weeks until very recently, hoping that we will get a bit of water to start salmon season off now.

On the fluorocarbon issue, I briefly used it a few years ago, lost confidence after a knot failure and back to old faithful Maxima again which seems to work for me.

Tight lines all. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 09:59 by JayG »

MarkC

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2019, 15:29 »
Salmon season started with a bang for me on Monday. First decent water for us this season, and third cast, got into this beauty. 11lb, been in about a week I think.

Intention was to return it (though perfectly legal to keep on this river at present), but despite nearly an hour trying to revive, it kept keeling over on its side and wasn't able to hold station in even a gentle current. It fought very hard and took me longer than expected to land as it was an awkward place. First time I've had that for a long time. Off to smoker now. Quite a few other fish about too.

20190603_152939 (2).jpg

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2019, 19:18 »
It finally happened!
20+ years I have fished Barnsfold and today I BLANKED >:(
Well when I say blanked I did catch loads of welsh laverbread :wacko:
Not sure what is happening on the water I can never remember it being so bad for weed, 20, 30 yards out and it s full of it on top of that a massive algea bloom too.
10 hours trying every fly known to man and nothing.
Wind didnt help, one min on your back then in your face then swininging all over, full on storm for 15 mins with fork lightening.
For once glad to be back home.

MarkC

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2019, 23:37 »
Quite early to be getting algal bloom. Last year the little loch (more a man made lake really) that I fish occasionally got a pea soup bloom after the hot weather in May and June, despite having aereators. Surprised you are getting that already and it's pretty soul destroying to fish in. That and the lightning would have driven me off pretty quickly.

I had a couple of hours on the river down the road with dry fly for trout tonight. After a warm sunny day, it was pleasant and there was a decent hatch of medium olives, yellow sallies and BWOs. I had 4 brownies, two of decent size on a couple of CDC flies before it got quite cold suddenly just before 10pm and the rise stopped like that . A nice evening though. 

Aled

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2019, 13:48 »
Seen a few sea trout, and some have been caught, not by me....yet! River very high at the moment so a spinning rod needed for tomorrow.
Cheers
Aled

Aled

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2019, 10:32 »
Had two trips over the weekend, caught no sea trout, saw two move on SAturday night. A few have been caught locally so plan to make some time for it this week.
Tight Lines
Aled

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2019, 20:35 »
An interesting ocurrance has happened!
I a couple of years back renovated an old 1980s caravan, we have used it a few times but for the most part it has been the guest room on the front drive!
Some friends of ours have just bought one and put it on a site which also has secure storage, on top of this it also has a .....
fishing lake, we have made enquiries and in a couole of weeks are taking it to the site and will store it there, looks like the old course fishing gear is going to need dusting off.
Just got my daughter a license too as she is 14 soon to be 15 its free and took less than two mins to sort.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 20:38 by Aidy »

xx
Fishing Season 2020

Started by Aled on Chatting on the Plot

24 Replies
Last post October 28, 2020, 16:26
by Aled
xx
Fishing Season 2020/2021

Started by Welsh Merf on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post May 01, 2020, 11:28
by Aunt Sally
xx
Fishing Season 2017

130 Replies
Last post December 31, 2017, 22:03
by Offwego
xx
Fishing Season 2023

20 Replies
Last post October 19, 2023, 10:20
by Aled

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 54 queries.