Getting worried now

• 13 Replies

Evansent

• Experienced Member
Getting worried now
« on: August 18, 2009, 16:03 »
Little pekin piped yesterday about 3pm, hole is still not much bigger and it's over 24 hrs now, egg still wobbling and chick cheeping, should I, can I do anything?    4 other eggs have started today as well, not too worried about those yet.

thanks

C Xx
It's not the years that age you, it's the weekends!!!

Foxy

Re: Getting worried now
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 16:27 »
Has it pipped through the membrane as well? which end has he pipped? :)

Big Jen

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 16:29 »
When were the chicks actually due?  It is a problem knowing when to help but if its well overdue I think I would carefully try to help as it may be stuck to the shell.  Any sign of blood stop straight away and make sur e the humidity is well up 70 to 80% or you will cause problems for the others.
My last batch I had 4 like this over 24 hours pipped. I helped 2 and left 2.
The 2 that I left both died and the others both lived. Its up to you at the end of the day.

Jenny
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

goodegg

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 17:42 »
some of mine tool three days to come out i was tempted to intervene but im glad i didnt last year i did help but the babies died .a job to know what to do for the best good luck i hope you make the right choice

Evansent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 18:07 »
it is through the membrane, I can see dark "feathers", cheeping loudly and moving alot; it is the narrow end of the egg.

They are bantams and there seems to be some contradictions in things I have read about it being 20 or 21 days????? Today is day 21.

Inc. is quite old model, I think, doesn't have a humidity gauge!! I have kept the tray topped up and have put in a soaked sponge as well.

This is worse than when I was expecting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

C X

too many girls

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 18:20 »
your chick looks like it pipped at the wrong end and may need a little help to get out, i would gently pick at the shell (stop at the first spot of blood) a very little at a time and with resting periods, if your chick can breath it should be ok.

Evansent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 19:02 »
there is a hole in the membrane, so I'm sure it can breathe. Do I just pick off the shell and try to keep the membrane intact?

One other has piped at the small end too! but that only happened this pm, so not too worried yet. The others seem to have holes in the centre of the egg, is this right?

Sorry, for so many questions, first timer!

Thanks
C X

too many girls

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 19:20 »
don't worry, there is no such thing as too many questions (i have been known to keep some forum members up all night with a difficult hatch :) with photo's at 5 minute interludes) i would try to pick off the shell and membrane, if the membrane dries out it can stick to the chick causing more complications, the others sound ok as they will probably break the shell in two, nerve wracking isn't it? your doing everything you can and i think your chick has a good chance if you give it a hand, good luck.

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 19:46 »
It is really nerve wracking isnt it! if your picking away at the membrane make sure you keep it moist by dabbing with warm water. i had one the other day that had pipped too much shell and left the membrane intact which then dried out even though humidity was at 70%, dabbing with the warm water helps to release the chick.
Im starting to get a bit twitchy with my duck eggs, as 2 pipped yesterday and have done no more but i can still see movement and humidity has stayed at 70% and day 28 isnt till tomorrow! but i still worry! ???

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Evansent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 21:11 »
Thanks for all your help everyone.

I could see that the chick was slightly higher up than the spot it had originally pipped, so I took the shell away from a bit higher and sure enough it has popped its beak through the membrane, so I think it might be ok now, still cheeping very loudly!!

I have also blocked up the air vents (all except one) so humidity is higher.  I am going to go to bed now, as I keep looking every 5 mins and it's doing nothing for my nerves  ???

Will keep you posted and of course pics if all well.

C X

Foxy

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 21:15 »
Good luck! loads of good advice from peeps here!!! :D

too many girls

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 21:44 »

i got mine from you and Sarah :D

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 21:57 »

i got mine from you and Sarah :D
Me too!  :D and not forgetting Kate too!

Evansent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 13:14 »
4 apparently healthy chicks now....2 grey pekins and 2 yellow light sussex bantams.

4 more to come, 2 nearly there, 1 with beak out  and one other not too sure about...seems to be wobbling but no holes yet.

c xx :D

xx
I'm still worried

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 17:54
by kimT
xx
very worried

Started by naturesparadise on The Hen House

35 Replies
Last post March 28, 2008, 18:49
by naturesparadise
xx
Am a bit worried

Started by jinty1911 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 28, 2010, 21:04
by bantam novice
xx
Worried

Started by Wyandottie on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 19, 2009, 10:24
by smiler43

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 38 queries.