help needed - sick sultan chick

• 7 Replies

CMFAM

• Experienced Member
« on: May 19, 2008, 20:13 »
Hi, I bought a sultan chick and a chamois poland just over a week ago (I posted pics last week),  they are kept together in a warm shed until they are old enough to go outside.  Today I found that the sultan is unwell, he is not eating or drinking and is very light in weight.  We have syringed some antibiotics into him and force fed him as he is very listless, with wings drooping and very slight wettish grey droppings.  

They have been fed on chick crumbs. The other chick who is with the sultan who we purchased at the same time from the same breeder is chamois poland and seems healthy, she is eating/drinking well and is the right weight and lively

Any advice please on what is wrong with sultan and what we can do please :(  :(

clare

Jellyhead

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 20:21 »
How old are they Claire? have they been wormed and have you checked for creepy crawlies :?:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

CMFAM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 20:25 »
Hi, they are about 4 weeks old (only guessing on this as we did not ask the age when we had them), no we have not wormed them yet, we were going to do it as soon as they were ready to go outside, as at the moment they are kept in enclosure in shed as they are still little and not fully feathered. no i have not checked for creepy crawlies

clare

CMFAM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 20:28 »
Hi, I should have mentioned that his head is swaying side to side and he is constantly churping :(

clare

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 20:41 »
4 weeks is young especially as not fully feathered-It has been quite cool and the chicks may need a little extra heat.If the chick is cool it will not eat.
Also, might be an idea to check for redmite in the shed -use a torch at night and look close to where they are roosting to see if you can see any tiny red dots moving around -they only feed at night on their blood and do love nice clean sheds,specially after the warm weather we have had.
Does the chick have any other symptoms? breathing difficulties or discharge from eyes or nostrils? This would indicate a respiratory problem.
Also, a question over the antibiotics - what are you using and what dose?
Good luck -it does sound rather poorly and there maybe not a lot you can do I'm afraid.

CMFAM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 20:54 »
Hi, we did have a heat lamp on but swithed if off, the shed is a large stone shed outhouse with double glazed windows and gets very warm inside.  We will check for mites tonight, althou we have other poultry in other enclosures in the "shed" and they seem fine (about the same age or younger).  The antibiotic my hubby used, we had from the vet and they said it could be used for most infections etc in poultry etc. it is called Terramycim and dose he used was the recomended dose on side of container, but scalled down because it is meant for large flocks.  He dilluted it in water and syringed into chick.  

Have been to check on chick and he has now stopped churping :?

I have now turned heat lamp back on

clare

CMFAM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 21:02 »
hi, forgot to mention, chick does not seem to have any breathing problems etc, however when hubby syringed food and antibiotics into chick, he saw that chicks tongue seemed to have red soars on it :(

clare

CMFAM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 14:20 »
UPDATE -  Chick is still with us!!, We got some different antibiotics of the vet today as he is still not eating that much and still very light in weight, We hope that the antibiotics will work and he improves, he has stopped his high pitched churping now, so hopefully will be feeling better soon :)

clare

xx
Help needed, Sick chick

Started by Hayley'sHens on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 11, 2010, 14:45
by spider
xx
Help advice needed Sick chick "I think"

Started by babaloo151070 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 08, 2012, 08:24
by Sassy
xx
Please help - Sick chick

Started by TanyaGibson on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 08, 2013, 11:44
by ehs284
xx
Sick chick

Started by Hayley'sHens on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 19:12
by Manlea1

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 38 queries.