Recommend a good book on chicken breeding genetics anyone?

• 6 Replies

hillfooter

Most of the books i've seen on this topic are heavy veterinary textbooks or scientific tomes for students or researchers with a price tag to match.  Can anyone recommend a good book for the amateur breeder which covers the fundamentals of genetics for chicken breeding and how to practically go about breeding chickens for good utility?

HF
Truth through science.

Casey76

Re: Recommend a good book on chicken breeding genetics anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 12:02 »
My genetics books are on breeding for colour, however I've had this book flagged for a while.

Having said that the text is from 1920, so I don't know how it reads, but i wouldn't have expected the fundamentals of breeding for utility have changed so much - perhaps just the breeds available.

D

• Experienced Member
  • Bella
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 12:39 »
I've read 'Exhibition Poultry Keeping' by David Scrivener which has got a section on genetics. Its more in depth than most books I've read but doesn't go over the top (still got me lost though).

Vecten

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 15:32 »
I have also been looking for a good book on chicken breeding genetics. It seems that after the last war genetics got a very bad press (owing mostly to unethical German research) and chicken breeding research was only carried out by commercial breeders. They, understandably are very loathe to make their research public. There is minimal info available on the web and a lack of bibliography.

Vecten

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 16:14 »
Having said that, despite DEFRA's attempts to protect the National Flock and commercial breeders attempts to protect their financial interest, we all know where it started before the war so there is no reason why small breeders should not have a go at improving the genetic make up of layers/utility birds.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 16:24 by Vecten »

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 12:52 »
I don't know what the chicken book is like but the Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks has an excellent section on genetics. Would guess that the chicken version would be along a similar line but as I said, only guessing.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 13:00 »
Not sure how good this would be, but I've had my eye on this book for a little while:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Introduction-Color-Forms-Domestic-Fowl/dp/1425904211/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
Its about the colour genetics, and you just need a basic knowledge of the genetics of the bird.  Not sure if it will help  ??? ???
Lavender Araucanas, SS Hamburgs, White Wyandottes and Italian Quail

xx
What is it with chicken book writers?

Started by andreadon on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post October 15, 2011, 15:24
by andreadon
xx
genetics

Started by animal mad on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post October 30, 2010, 20:03
by animal mad
xx
silkie genetics

Started by animal mad on Chicken Chat

12 Replies
Last post September 01, 2010, 11:57
by animal mad
question
Have you ever...?(Breeding)

Started by sarahlee on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post June 19, 2010, 08:24
by Chookiechook

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 36 queries.