Used Scaffold Boards/Planks

• 10 Replies

Shieldsy

Used Scaffold Boards/Planks
« on: June 18, 2011, 11:37 »
I've called a couple of local scaffold companies asking if they had a supply of used boards I could buy/take to make raised beds but they have declined saying that they woul be liable for any accident should I decide to use them for scaffolding instead of actually making raised beds?

Anyone else been told this or am I being led a merry dance?

And does anyone know anyone in the Reading area that do give away or sell used planks?

Cheers,

Al

Goldfinger

Re: Used Scaffold Boards/Planks
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 11:58 »

You been taken one one merry dance! Up here, the current price (ish) is £5 for 2nd hand boards and £9 for new ones, which are 8ft long I think.

I think it's against the law anyway to 'sell' defective materials, so they couldn't sell you knackered / unsafe boards but only decent reusable ones.

Shieldsy

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 17:02 »
Thanks Goldfinger..........suspected as much so will let the fingers do the walking in the Yellow Pages some more :-)

Cheers,

Al

AndyRVTR

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 20:17 »
Hi Al... seem to be cheaper up our neck of the woods, £3.50 for a 13' board... on the point of using boards for scaffolding... I reckon that may be true...
The seller is obviously covering his own back by giving you a verbal warning that if you should use the boards on scaffolding and they actually give way and collapse, he will not be liable for any claim for personal injury as he has already warned you... No doubt there are people who do just that and buy materials as cheap as possible....

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 22:18 »
Andy, where do you get yours from at that price? 

I've contacted my local people and have received similar stories to Shieldsy and they say that any damaged ones are cut down to good wood and used where shorter peices are needed

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 22:22 »
I tried to buy some locally but apparently they are shredded up in great big machines so they don't end up being re-used for scaffolding. 

My OH bought me some new ones  :ohmy:  I'm not complaining   :D

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 07:50 »
£2.50 here for a 13' board but minimum order of 20(not a problem when more than 1 person wants them) but i think it helps that the guy that owns the company is one of our plotholders

Goldfinger

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 10:59 »
Hi Al... seem to be cheaper up our neck of the woods, £3.50 for a 13' board... on the point of using boards for scaffolding... I reckon that may be true...
The seller is obviously covering his own back by giving you a verbal warning that if you should use the boards on scaffolding and they actually give way and collapse, he will not be liable for any claim for personal injury as he has already warned you... No doubt there are people who do just that and buy materials as cheap as possible....

Only that much!!?? I was quoted a £5 per board off several people! 

Who's the guy selling them for that price?

With me only up the road from you, I'm willing to travel for that price.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 17:45 »

I've contacted my local people and have received similar stories to Shieldsy and they say that any damaged ones are cut down to good wood and used where shorter peices are needed

Hi Suzi... Got them from Marine Scaffolding in Jarrow, there number is, 0191 483 8912, that also included delivery to my allotment site in Jarrow..

Flatcat

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 09:06 »
We just went up to some scaffolders in town who were working, and managed to buy a few of their 5' ones for a fiver each I think it was. They wern't ffussed at all what we did with them.

Damon

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 21:18 »

Hi Suzi... Got them from Marine Scaffolding in Jarrow, there number is, 0191 483 8912, that also included delivery to my allotment site in Jarrow..

Thanks Andy... think I'll give them a call after payday :happy:

xx
Scaffold/Gravel boards

Started by Shieldsy on Frugal Living

3 Replies
Last post August 08, 2009, 09:38
by Steve.B
xx
Free scaffold boards...is there such a thing?

Started by Sweetpea C on Frugal Living

12 Replies
Last post February 06, 2013, 13:45
by angelavdavis
xx
b n q decking boards

Started by dmg on Frugal Living

2 Replies
Last post May 19, 2014, 21:51
by CDave
xx
Trying to secure some scaffolding boards without luck

Started by Kevin67 on Frugal Living

24 Replies
Last post January 10, 2015, 21:13
by barley

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 29 queries.