Would you?

• 12 Replies

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
Would you?
« on: August 22, 2010, 21:04 »
Across the road from my aunty lives a man who has let his garden grow into a jungle, quete literally, and in this 'jungle' there are about 3 apple trees, a pear tree, rasberiies and rhubarab. Every year they just fall of the tree and it is such a waste. This man is a bit of a drunk, which kinfd of explains it.

But what i was wondering is would you go and ask him if you could take the fruit. I dont know if i should or not as to be completle honest, hes so drunk most of the time i cant understand a word he says.
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Would you?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 21:07 »
I would definately ask, but take someone else with you, don't go there alone.
Cheese makes everything better.

Dave Mack

• Zillionaire
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 21:22 »
Jamie were does he live mate , because if you dont ask him i will  :lol:
Yeah as Ice said ... take a friend or Adult with you , the guy might be bladder when you knock on his door  ;)

AndyRVTR

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 21:30 »
Take a four pack with you and the deal will be done  :D :D :D

sion01

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 22:21 »
offer to make the wino some cider with the apples he might help you collect them :D :D :D

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 14:08 »
Jamie, slightly OT, how did you get on selling your plants to the teachers/ Did you make a good profit?
I've just walked past a friends house with dozens of yellow plums on the ground, however my freezer is groaning already, not sure I've got room for any more. There's a beautiful quince bush along the road, but I never pluck up the courage to ask.......Good luck!

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 15:10 »
Jamie I think your idea is a good one (why let it go to waste) but I also think the advice about not going alone is important to note.

It may sound over cautious but, if you have or can borrow such a thing, take a voice recorder with you. Have it in a pocket so it can record what is said. The last thing you want (or any of us) is the police knocking on the door asking about "stolen" fruit.

If the house owner is as drunk as often as you indicate then there's nothing to stop him from changing his mind or forgetting he agreed to the idea in the first place.

Take care.

PS And don't offer to do the garden or get too friendly with him... you could end up with responsibilities that his family members should take on.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 15:11 by Learner »
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Bizzi Lizzi

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 18:51 »
You could try asking - he can only say yes or no, drunk or sober.  I wouldn't be tempted to take them just in case his has a lucid moment.  It's such a waste of good fruit though.  What a dilemma!

Jamie Butterworth

• Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 13:21 »
Thanksfor all the tips, i went rround with my aunty this morning, he said there was no problem taking whatever i could find :D So thats my job tomorow :)

He even sounded like he knew what he was talking about, to say he just leaves them to drop and his garden to grow into a jungle, he was telling us what varieties they were and when which ones tasted best.

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 13:57 »
Great news Jamie, have fun picking and then deciding what to do with it all. Just been offered the fruit from a crab apple tree myself so lots of apple jelly and other stuff to do.
The reward of a thing well done is to have done it....

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 15:00 »
So, Jamie, once you've finished processing all that fruit into something mouth-wateringly exotic what labels are you using to attract the customers' attention?

Use glass containers (pre-loved jam-jars) and offer a nominal sum for their return - doing your bit for the green-recycling industry always goes down well.

Factor in cost of fuel and time for cooking and then work out your profit margin. Oh yes, and on the bottom of the label, in very small print, make sure there's some info about ingredients / use-by and storage guidance and being produced with care locally.

When does the new business open?  ;)

Jamie Butterworth

• Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 16:47 »
Leaner, if only i had the time and the facilties.

Thanks though. I got a full tary of apples off today, some cookers and some small but tasty. Im going to be busy next week :) :tongue2:

digalotty

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 20:47 »
great idea jamie , free fruit  :)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 33 queries.