YUMMMMMM!!!!!

• 20 Replies

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
Re: YUMMMMMM!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 10:38 »
I suppose. Still every little helps and there's more reasons to shop at...

Aaaaarrrggghhhh!

agapanthus

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 22:30 »
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

scabs

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 09:09 »
 :lol:

Yesterday I picked nearly a kilo of elderberries and spotted a lovely crop of either sloes or bullace.

There's a few nice plump rowans about, so I'm picking again at lunchtime and I'll be doing a batch of hedgerow jelly this weekend!  :)

agapanthus

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2009, 10:53 »
:lol:

Yesterday I picked nearly a kilo of elderberries and spotted a lovely crop of either sloes or bullace.

There's a few nice plump rowans about, so I'm picking again at lunchtime and I'll be doing a batch of hedgerow jelly this weekend!  :)

We've got loads too growing around here.....Nubty's gonna try his hand at wine-making again  :wacko: :wacko: god knows what it will turn out like!!! I read somewhere that rowan berries are better after a frost has got to them....don't know if that's true....but it might be a good idea to popp them in the freezer for a bit before cooking?

scabs

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2009, 11:13 »
Yes, I'd heard that too. Will do.

Will also report on the result!  :)

Off to North Wales on Sunday, so I'll keep my peepers peeled.

NigelB

• Experienced Member
    • Pictures from the garden and greenhouse..
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2009, 12:02 »
Spoots!

Oh heck yes!

Love the things.....
I learned how to find them when spending a winter in Shetland some years ago...
 I was doing a bit of beach-scrounging (Collecting Cockles, Winkles, Mussels and fishing for bronze cod among the kelp) when I spotted an elderly gentleman walking backwards right at the low-tide mark carrying a large serrated kitchen knife....
That's a bit weird, thinks I, so I went over to him and asked what was occurring.... And it turned out he was hunting Razor Clams by walking backwards and watching for the spout (spoot) of water they throw up when they dive for cover upon hearing/feeling your footsteps.....
He would then plunge the knife into the soil next to where the spoot came from and work it until it hit the clam. (What this does it stop the clam burying itself any deeper in the spiral route they use), then he dug the sand out with his free hand until reaching the clam which was gently pulled from the hole and popped into his bag....
Thanks to that gentleman, I have always been able to find them since....

This method can only be used on very low tides though. The spring and autumn high tides are the ones to do it on. (The autumn 'spring' tides occurred here just over a week ago so it'll be a while before it can be done successfully again).....

Give it a go though, when you get the chance. There really is nothing tastier.......

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 35 queries.