Thank you for buying 'branded' goods

• 11 Replies

amberleaf

• Experienced Member
« on: June 07, 2008, 06:58 »
Quite a long time ago I found out that certain companies who advertised  under their own brand name also supplied the same goods for certain well known chain stores in the chain stores packaging. In turn, the chain stores sold these goods in their own packaging at a lower price.

When ever an item is advertised it costs the company money which, in turn has to be passed on to the consumer.

However, their advertised brand became a household name and because people kept being told (by them) how good the product was, these people kept buying that product.

Then I found out that, to keep down costs, some big companies got smaller manufacturers to make their product for them, contracting out the work.

In fact there were all sorts of things going on. For tax purposes, in some cases or cheaper manufacturing costs are examples.

The skill with buying cheaper versions of these 'brand names' is to be able to trust your self not to be influenced by advertising.

I now have several 'shops own' items I regularly buy. It does mean that I have to go to a specific supermarket for a bulk load of, baked beans every so often shall we say.

There are certain items that I will pay extra for, toilet paper for example. I do not like using sand paper type cheap stuff there!

However, I will say, if those people who insist on paying extra for certain brands which yield high profits for manufacturers and retailers. Then people like me, who buy the goods which do not offer high profits are even loss makers in some circumstances,  would not benefit from getting excellent quality items at such bargain prices.

Thank you for subsidising my shopping and long may you continue to do so.
If it rots compost it
If it burns burn it
If it is chocolate eat it

Elaine G

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 17:29 »
Amberlink your comments do not surprise me in the slightest. I think  many of us appreciate that own brand goods are made by the same people as the top brands.
The trick is to know which ones are which. I personally do not have a lot of time to spare for shopping. I work full time, and when I am not at work or in bed I am generally on the allotment or in the garden! So driving around the supermarkets trying their own brands would not be cost or time effective for me.
So if you want to share any secrets or tell us where to find the information some of us would be appreciative. Otherwise I guess I will have to find out for myself when I retire!
Cheers
Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

amberleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 07:28 »
If one shares a secret it is no longer a secret.

It depends on what you buy and where of course.

If you buy milk chocolate digestive biscuits for example then next time you shop, in any of the big supermarkets, try a packet of their 'own brand'.

I assume you make your own soups & sauces and probably use tinned tomatoes as a base for some? That is another own brand I suggest.

It is not just food, things like, cling film.

Just give one own brand a try each time you shop.

If you are devoted to a certain brand of breakfast cereal, tea, coffee or baked beans, then do NOT try any of those, they don't taste the same and it will put you off.

Keep it simple and logical. How much different can a tin of sweet corn be if the ingredients are just sweetcorn, water, sugar &  salt?

I would love to hear what you tried and how you get on.

nipper31

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 15:26 »
Years ago I used to work for a company who made Ski yoghurt, flavoured milk, butter and other dairy products.
All the branded stuff was distributed under the company name and EXACTLY the same product was also made and packaged for Tesco, Asda, Somerfield and other retail outlets but with the store logo on the labels instead.

I buy loads of Asda/Co-op branded products because they're just as good as the top brands and definitely a lot cheaper in most cases.

Frog

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 21:25 »
We tried shops own baked beans  :puker:  - never again - they were like bullets, no matter how long you cooked them for. Afraid it's always Heinz (can I name drop here? :oops: ) from now on!  :D

Bob

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 23:48 »
The only difference I have found in baked beans is own brand tend to have more sauce and less beans than the branded tins.

daz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 23:55 »
i used to work in a factory making butter , rice pudding milk shakes etc and the rice pudding for example that i saw come off the production line was tesco value safeways own ambrosia etc all off teh same production line and the only things that changed was teh pacaging and sometimes a bit more milk went in the mix but other than that they are identical

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 23:58 »
Quote from: "Bob"
The only difference I have found in baked beans is own brand tend to have more sauce and less beans than the branded tins.

But saying that, I don't think Heinz has as many beans in as it used to, there's more sauce.  We don't often buy Hein\ anyomore, only when they are on special, but the sauce is definitely better than the cheaper brands.

daz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 00:02 »
on the whole i find its stupid to buy the branded items just cause they are branded and you should always try every one in the range and settle on the one you like best which more often than not isnt always teh most expensive

with exception to tinned tomato's i have yet to find a decent tin that dont cost the earth

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 04:50 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"
Quote from: "Bob"

But saying that, I don't think Heinz has as many beans in as it used to, there's more sauce.  We don't often buy Hein\ anyomore, only when they are on special, but the sauce is definitely better than the cheaper brands.

I found the same with a tin of pilchards I bought recently.

In the 'good old days' they used to be packed in really tight, (like sardines in a tin in fact). Used to be because to sauce cost more than the fish. In this tin they were just slopping around.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 22:40 »
its all quite obvious really, only a small number of companies have the facilities to make the products, everyone else contracts to them, take tinned sweetcorn as an example (just cos i watched a 'how its made about it'!), theres loads of varieties, but only a couple of companies that take the corn from the farms and process it, so your green giant is most likely the same as tescos or whatever. As said before, its more a matter of 'grade' the branded product will be the higher grade, with the shops own being lower grade, or less product/more water/sauce etc

the one that makes me laugh - choco leibniz choccy buiscits, with a ship picture on the choc, 40p or the like from lidl/aldi, the EXACT same buiscuits in M&S packaging cost about a quid! and they are the same trust me, i love em :D
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

amberleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 09:09 »
Quote from: "Frog"
We tried shops own baked beans  :puker:  - never again - they were like bullets, no matter how long you cooked them for. Afraid it's always Heinz (can I name drop here? :oops: ) from now on!  :D

Keep up the good work. What else have you tried?

Yes you can name drop. This is not the BBC.

Food which is cooked to a specific recipe like baked beans varies. Heinz baked bean lovers often find that other baked beans are not the same because it is the specific flavour of the sauce they like. Especially when the delicacy 'baked beans on toast' is being served.

Must say I have never heard the complaint about 'hard' beans from any of the UK varieties. Which one did you get?

Stock cubes and gravy mixes are another area, again, all about flavour, where it is difficult to find a cheap alternative.

xx
Seed Buying

Started by bobbyt on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post July 28, 2021, 16:38
by bobbyt
xx
Buying tools for the allotment

Started by kenny199 on Frugal Living

1 Replies
Last post December 24, 2010, 20:21
by solway cropper
xx
The perils of buying cheap

Started by Bigrich on Frugal Living

11 Replies
Last post April 27, 2015, 16:45
by sunshineband
xx
Kellogs promotion £43 free seeds for buying 3 packs of cereal (plus P&P)

Started by Faz on Frugal Living

6 Replies
Last post August 20, 2009, 19:38
by PlymouthMaid

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 38 queries.