cheap (ish) wormery bits - anyone know of a source

• 6 Replies

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
« on: April 28, 2008, 17:42 »
i got a can-o-worms wormery from a wonderful freecycler,  but all i have is the plastic layers.

so from reading the instruction booklet i need some worms ( :roll: ), a bedding block and maybe a moisture mat (it does mention using newspaper).

is online going to be cheaper than in a shop/garden centre?

weeeed

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 12:13 »
Jenny they need bran to feed on. Small amounts, keep your veggy peelings in a plastic carrier for a few days outside. You will be amazed how quickly it becomes ready for the worms when you hang it up. I use one of my hanging basket hooks near the back door. As to buying the worms you need an anglers shop. Ask for some tiger worms. About £2 in money I would think. Oh, I nearly forgot rip up a load of cardboard and leave soaking in water until you need it. Put this in the bottom then the worms and their food and your homemade waste on top. Not too much mind. Then about 2-3 weeks later add another layer then go up into another container and onwards and upwards. Hope this helps. :wink:
I know less today than I did yesterday, and I knew nothing then!

jennyb

• My Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 08:52 »
what about things like bedding blocks?

and are the tiger worms  the composting worms?

GetOutCat

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 20:12 »
For bedding I just used some half rotten leaf mould and half done compost from my main heap. I guess you could also use the kinds of moss used to line hanging baskets, even old shredded cardboard and paper (ink free preferably) - main thing is it should hold moisture.

Tiger worms are known as Brandlings, but Dendrobaena is a similar stripey worm that fits the bill - see http://www.wormsdirectuk.co.uk/default.php?cPath=21_30

Grey soil dwelling worms are visibly different beasts and won't last too long in a wormery fed with kitchen waste.

I was able to pick a few stripey ones out of my main heap as there was a fair bit of kitchen waste they were chewing through. Took a while to get going but they're settled in now.

jennyb

• My Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 21:48 »
thanks for the replies.

gave it a clean up and put it together today.  given that i got it completely free spending £30 on a starter pack from a wormery store isn't exactly going to break the budget - still a huge saving on buying a brand new complete wormery.

i think i need to learn that i don't need to cut corners with everything, after all i can actually afford £30!

weeeed

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 20:57 »
Don't forget the dampeened cardboard they love it and yes the tiger worms are the easy name for the real macoy :roll:  :wink:

woodburner

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 11:52 »
Worms don't object to bran but it's not worth buying stuff for them. If you want to grow mealworms you would need bran though. ;)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

xx
cheap vegan bits and bobs in brighton

Started by eli on Frugal Living

1 Replies
Last post November 19, 2010, 12:19
by joyfull
xx
useful bits

Started by st0ne5ish on Frugal Living

13 Replies
Last post December 12, 2010, 13:33
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Homemade wormery

Started by the witters on Frugal Living

4 Replies
Last post February 22, 2011, 15:21
by Dreamer@45
xx
What to do with odd bits of wood!!

Started by GrannieAnnie on Frugal Living

17 Replies
Last post July 02, 2007, 22:18
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 36 queries.