The perils of buying cheap

• 11 Replies

Bigrich

The perils of buying cheap
« on: February 13, 2015, 22:22 »
Was in B&M buying some doggy poop bags and cider (hey - don't judge me! They're both cheap there!  :D ) and saw they were selling various fruit bushes and roses.

I decided to have a punt on a £1.50 blueberry bush that looked like it had a good sized root ball. However on unwrapping the root ball it turned out to be a lot of compost around a twig

>:( >:( >:(

Not even worth the effort of taking it back for £1.50 - you pays your money you takes your chance

Have dipped the twig in rooting gel and planted it in a pot - if it doesn't make it then such is life, lesson learned  :mad:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 22:23 by Bigrich »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: The perils of buying cheap
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 12:37 »
You can be lucky or unlucky with these purchases --- the twig may yet come good though..

Last year I bought a pack of five plant roots with a photo of cerise and green "Red Hot Pokers" on it, which turned out to be three lupins, which I didn't really want. But at £1.35, like you, the return journey was not worth it.

You takes yer chances  :nowink:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 12:50 »
You takes yer chances  :nowink:

You shouldn't have to though?? This is well outside the Trade Descriptions act surely, and stories of such mis-labelling of the cheap-deals are common enough on the forums (Apples that turned out to be Pears and so on) that it must surely be more than accidental error? The low-price selling companies buying up cheap bin-ends of plants, and the growers just flogging any old stuff, including anything from which the labels have been lost, is unacceptable surely?

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 13:03 »
Looks like the 'twig' is starting to root,
bung it in ! :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 13:17 »
Don't give up on it.  When I take blackcurrant cuttings, I put them in rooting powder and just plant them, they always grow.

Whereas early last year I bought my daughter 5 raspberry canes from a well known garden centre for £7.99.  the 5 'twigs' are still sitting in her garden nearly a year later!

I told her to wait until I go down again, just in case they stayed dormant for some reason last year.

Bigrich

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 13:21 »
Fingers crossed it'll root properly - a little bit vexing. But the silly thing is I'll not buy any plant from them again, so in the long term they lose out
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 17:48 by Bigrich »

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 14:01 »
Our thornless tayberries  turned out to be nothing more than common blackberries and not tasty ones either. LOL but for a £1 it was worth a try. I would give up yet that little one may suprise you.

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 09:10 »
I bought an apple and plum some years ago at Morrisons, the apple took off but the plum died, my wife was mortified when I took the twig back for a refund, but they paid up, Dave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

Mrs Bee

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 10:43 »
I bought an apple and plum some years ago at Morrisons, the apple took off but the plum died, my wife was mortified when I took the twig back for a refund, but they paid up, Dave

Good for you. If that had been us it would have been me taking it back for the refund and Mr Bee taking a back seat and grinning. ::)

Bigrich

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 10:39 »
Just to update: The twig remained a twig and gradually dried out to become a dead dried twig - I threw it away at the weekend
Lesson learned  >:(

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 10:46 »
I know it is a bit late but email their customer services and attach a pic. The worst that happens is they do nothing. More often than not you will get store vouchers back to spend next time you are there.  :) I done that for the range months after I bought some roses saying I hoped for the best but they have keeled over and they were good about it.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 16:45 »
I bought a dwarf nectarine in Wyevale's half price end of season sale. It is as dead as a dodo  >:(

I am returning it to the store on Wednesday. I hope the Plant Area Manager either has a living specimen to exchange it for, or he provides me with the cost of a replacement elsewhere (not at half price either!)

I shall let you know how it goes.

xx
Seed Buying

Started by bobbyt on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post July 28, 2021, 16:38
by bobbyt
xx
Buying tools for the allotment

Started by kenny199 on Frugal Living

1 Replies
Last post December 24, 2010, 20:21
by solway cropper
xx
Thank you for buying 'branded' goods

Started by amberleaf on Frugal Living

11 Replies
Last post June 29, 2008, 09:09
by amberleaf
xx
Kellogs promotion £43 free seeds for buying 3 packs of cereal (plus P&P)

Started by Faz on Frugal Living

6 Replies
Last post August 20, 2009, 19:38
by PlymouthMaid

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 39 queries.