new polytunnel what veg?

• 9 Replies

erp

new polytunnel what veg?
« on: July 05, 2011, 09:57 »
hi all, im new to this so go easy on me! i have just put up my new polytunnel (30ftx10ft and 9ft tall)after a long wait for good weather ( im in scotland) i have some tomatos and chillies but wanted to grow things all year round. can anyone advise me on the best crops to have etc, i have put the tunnel on a patch of ground that my chickens have been on for some time and the soil seems good. i had planned just to plant into the ground this year and put beds in next as its a bit late in the year is this a good plan? i have the tunnel on a slight slope so dranage will not be a prob. all advise will be appreciated.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: new polytunnel what veg?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 10:08 »
hello erp welcome to the site  :)

I've moved your question over to here where you should get some answers  ;)

japagow

• Experienced Member
  • A yard a day.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 22:24 »
Alsmost anything will grow in a polytunnel even peach trees!  You are now in command. 

I grow florence fennel, peppers, chilli, tomato, basil, salad crops, beetroot and intend sowing oriental greens - pak choi, japanese spinach later in the year.

Next year I want to try aubergines.

See now you are in control you can have a go at almost anything.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 08:24 »
Hello erp. :) Whereabouts in Scotland are you? I'd be surprised if you couldn't grow the likes of beetroot outside saving space in your tunnel... In our considerably smaller polytunnel here we grew dwarf french beans the first year as it only went up in June and we wanted to make some use of it that first year. The bean plants grew huge and were extremely productive. :D

Tomatoes and chillis are good choices but make sure the tomatoes have plenty ventilation as we lost all our Golden Nuggets last year to botrytis, although the Roma weren't affected. We grow chillis indoors and in a bespoke frame. We're growing Minipop sweetcorn in the polytunnel this year, along with a couple of dwarf beans as we're out of outdoor space for them. Its also a good place for your more delicate herbs like Basil. We have one of our (3) cucmbers in there too, as there isn't room in the "cucumber house" aka for the rest of the year potting shed. :D There are also a couple of varieties of tomato growing happily.

We've grown early and late carrots in there, early and late spring onions and lettuces/salads but we haven't yet achieved all year round growth. We have just had two very long and cold winters as you will know, so I can't say whether this is the reason or whether it is just that degree or so too cold to achieve all year growth. Hopefully we're not set for these winters every year and we'll find out one day. ::)

Good luck with it! :D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Headgardener22

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 18:04 »
Anything will grow, the main problem is watering things that need water and keeping the greenfly down if you mix different plants.

I've grown early potatoes, both in the ground and in pots. Pots is good because you can get them going early and then move them outside as the weather improves.

For the first time this year I broadcast sowed some lettuces in February and had early salad leaves. (I then left them to grow and they became a hiding place for greenfly and slugs so beware)

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 18:20 »
And where are you Headgardener22? I think it would have been too cold in many parts of Scotland for lettuce in February. Its always useful if we know roughly where you are, both if you are giving advice or if you are asking for it.

:)

BILL251

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 20:40 »
Hi  Erp  welcome to the site  and good luck with the  poly tunnel  and  you  ask the  question I was about to ask  Thanks  Argyllie  and head gardener    got lots  to think about  now     lets hope  we  don, t have a winter like  last year .....  West  coast  of  Scotland  we  need  some sunshine if  anyone  has  some spare

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 06:16 »
Hi Bill,

I think we in the West are set for the best of the sunshine and temperatures for the next few days, so that can only help the plants to grow. :)

BILL251

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 09:56 »
  well got my ploy tunnel  Monday  built  it  Tuesday  and it was as I built it  I notice  it needed  hot  spot tape  , so that has  put me  back as I now have to  wait till Tuesday  before it arrives  .. Building it was  easy  it did say need two to build  but I did it myself  two  hours.  Sheet  should  go  on  next week   . Hope the sunshine  come,s  back  been  great this week ... Take care all

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 13:14 »
Good luck with it Bill, you know we always like to see photos too. :)

xx
polytunnel

Started by thecakebaker on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

12 Replies
Last post June 14, 2011, 17:28
by zopadooper
xx
polytunnel...

Started by radster on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

8 Replies
Last post January 17, 2012, 05:07
by fuzzy1983
xx
polytunnel

Started by lotus on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

11 Replies
Last post September 20, 2015, 19:52
by sonnycbr
xx
Diy polytunnel

Started by ricky on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post September 19, 2019, 16:25
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 41 queries.