Changing Energy Suppliers

• 27 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: Changing Energy Suppliers
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2019, 02:16 »
Growster - If you follow the link on either of the two previous posts you can insert your post code, complete the initial form and be sent a quote.

OR ...give them a call - might be worth asking... but I'd still suggest comparing tariffs carefully.

(Edit to add information)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 02:23 by Paul Plots »
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2019, 11:29 »
I registered with the Moneysavingsexpert site, as it makes finding a good deal and switching supplier fairly painless.  They also send you emails when a better deal comes up. 

It irritates me when your deal is about to end and an energy supplier tells you that it can save you X amount of money if you change to one of their other deals, as they compare it to what you'd pay on their standard (usually most expensive) tariff and not the one you're on - quite misleading I think...  ???

There are now a few sites that regularly look for the best deals and change you over if you can save money, and I wondered if anyone had any experience of these?

AM  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Growster...

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2019, 18:16 »
Growster - If you follow the link on either of the two previous posts you can insert your post code, complete the initial form and be sent a quote.

OR ...give them a call - might be worth asking... but I'd still suggest comparing tariffs carefully.

(Edit to add information)

Thank you Paul.

I'm on the case, and am also going to give the Daily Telegraph spot a look-in, as they have an 'energy compare' website as well!

As I always assume that these companies are certain to try and cheat their customers, it does need a big spreadsheet to work it all out! And I agree with Auntie (below), that they'll always try any tactic to rip you off.

Lucky for us, I have the time, and I can make Excel sing like a bird on occasions..;0)

If I find out anything to help chums here, I damn well will!

(signed - Growstersparks).

Growster...

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2019, 18:23 »
Just thinking further about all this, I have an issue about Economy 7, and posted here a while back.

Madcat seems to be up there with the Gods in knowing the tricks of the trade, so for what it's worth, here's the link to my waffle and her professional skills and judgement!

https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=130114.0

Growster...

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2019, 16:36 »
Sorry to butt in with a third consecutive post, but I had our online statement today.

As we started in November, paying around £160.00 per month, we immediately went into credit of around £150.00 within three months, and that's over the first winter weeks!

Today's statement shows that, even after a coldish start and general, normal spring coolness, the credit has jumped to nearly £300.00!

In six months!

By my calcs, if they are doing this to - say - 50,000 customers, they have £2.5million bunce sloshing around by now, which is unacceptable.

Refund request going in asap.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2019, 16:48 »
As we started in November, paying around £160.00 per month, we immediately went into credit of around £150.00 within three months, and that's over the first winter weeks!

That starting amount was clearly bonkers right from the word go (£50 too much in winter, and much more than that for the summer months! )

Go get 'em Growster (then dump 'em ASAP for someone a bit better at maffs!  ;))
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Growster...

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2019, 18:36 »
Thanks Jay!

Actually, it was the cheapest deal anywhere, and I tried all sorts of comparison sites at the time.

If I was a cynic, I'd consider all this is 'allegedly' a 'ring'. We all know that newcomers to any national supplier are paid for by customers who haven't changed for years, but my research was pretty intense, so it's on the cards for a shake up IMHO.

When I was in the building business, rings were really 'verboten' but went on occasionally. There was also the practice of getting 'covers' from others during estimates, just so the tenderer could stay on the horizon for the next job. It bent a few rules of course, but collusion on prices for natural services like water, electricity etc., should really mean that the 'watchdogs' get their act in order.

It's just not fair that any family with limited access to their accounts online, or wholly reliant on paperwork, which is usually gobbledygook (me and some of the rubbish I get, included), should be paying more than their share.

John, any chance of a 'Life Hacks' section, where we can all see what's occurring?

I'm trying to remain 'PC' here, but it ain't 'arf difficult...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2019, 10:03 »
In April I had some reps knock from 'Money Saving Expert' to 'help me' find the best offer - they reckoned they could save me £20/month - however I never took up their offer because  MSE don't do 'door knocking', so that was a bad start for those reps!

MSE's own site did have some cheaper options, when I compared, but they warned that those companies had received bad customer service reviews - so I've stayed put for now ;)
I'll have another nosey around when my present tariff ends in a few months.

Growster...

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2019, 18:48 »
Mum, it's easy to save £20:00, but they get commission from the companies they steer you to, so in the end, nothing really changes!

Funnily enough, I had an email from our insurers, R.I.A.S., and they have quite a good deal on emergency repairs, leaks etc., about fifty quid a year.

I may well look at this as Homeserve are ridiculous in their service, and I only keep them on in case something happens to me and Mrs Growster needs a number to call!

We had a total foul drainage blockage a while back, and the earliest they could get along was first - a week, then after a verbal 'Growsterocket', three days. I did it myself.

Pathetic!

Paul Plots

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2019, 01:56 »
Mum, it's easy to save £20:00, but they get commission from the companies they steer you to, so in the end, nothing really changes!

Funnily enough, I had an email from our insurers, R.I.A.S., and they have quite a good deal on emergency repairs, leaks etc., about fifty quid a year.

I may well look at this as Homeserve are ridiculous in their service, and I only keep them on in case something happens to me and Mrs Growster needs a number to call!

We had a total foul drainage blockage a while back, and the earliest they could get along was first - a week, then after a verbal 'Growsterocket', three days. I did it myself.

Pathetic!

Directline Home Insurance offer a HomeEmergency policy for emergencies - not a bad price especially for a new customer - cheapest way is to go online for a quote.

Never accept automatic renewal - in fact I always state that I do not want auto renew as I prefer to look at comparative prices each year and then phone to see if they can keep the price down for me as close as possible to new customers - so far it has worked every year.

HomeEmergency covers all sorts of things and is designed to help you stay in your own home - drains... they come out the same day usually... Legal insurance is included in this policy - was very useful to me and covered several thousand pounds worth of help when I needed it most.

I am nothing to do with Direct Line apart from a long time customer... worth a look.

sospan

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2019, 16:38 »
The family swapped over to Bulb whom have an excellent loyalty / inducement scheme - recommend someone and you each get £50 off your next bill plus there was an incentive via TopCashBack as well.

Growster...

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2019, 20:47 »
Thanks Paul, it's an interesting point you make, I'm still on the case...

jezza

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2019, 22:34 »
Hello there's a saying better the devil you know the electricity gas etc.all comes from the same supplier the other companies by "wholesale" but don't tell you that if the water pipe between the road and the house bursts you pay for repair electric cable burns out you pay gas leak between main and house you pay staying with the one your with the repairs are all free even smart meters are a scam jezza

xx
Changing broadband provider

Started by madcat on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post October 09, 2017, 08:53
by al78
xx
Energy saving sites.

Started by dugless on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post April 29, 2020, 20:59
by JayG
xx
'Bulb' energy supplier

Started by Yorkie on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post June 02, 2018, 21:53
by hasbeans
xx
Am annoyed with Shell energy changes.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post May 12, 2024, 14:58
by Christine

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 43 queries.