Temporary shade

• 4 Replies

Conkerwoman

Temporary shade
« on: May 05, 2021, 09:28 »
I have just started helping out a plotholder, while waiting for my name to rise up the waiting list for an allotment. She is giving me free reign over half the plot for this year. The site does not permit structures other than beanpoles and compost bins, and there are no trees. Does anyone have any ideas for creating temporary shade so that I can have an occasional sit down out of the glare? It can’t be anything attractive like a parasol, as the communal tool store is permanently locked due to Covid.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: Temporary shade
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 19:09 »
Can you get a tarp with grommets around the edges? With that and some sturdy cord, you should be able to rig up a shade that is easy to set up and take down.  Bring poles if there is no tree or other object tall and solid enough to attach the tarp to.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 06:50 »
Bean poles covered in tall beans would provide some good shade.  Just lash poles together to create an overhang.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 11:02 »
Perhaps take an umbrella with you?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 17:50 »
Could you take a parasol or large umbrella with you?

You could lash or tape it to a strong beanstick and take it back home when you've done.

If there are suitable objects to attach something like THIS to, it would obviously provide much better shade, albeit considerably more fiddly as a temporary fixture.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 39 queries.