What spacing do you have between your toms in the greenhouse/polytunnel

• 8 Replies

stompy

As the title says, this is for next year obviousely.

I feel that i could have gotten more in my greenhouse than i did as i have now stripped off the bottom leaves from the tomato plants to alow the measilly amount of sun in and it seems rather sparse.

I allowed 18" between the plants and have chillie and pepper plants at the front of the border.
Im asking as well because there are quite a few on my site that grow in what look like 9inch pots and have them right next to each other.
This would mean i could in theory get twice the amount of plants in than i did.

Robster

Stompy, I grow mine in the border soil in exactly the same way as you even down to the spacing and the chillies.  I let them grow right up to the top of the green house and then stop them.  It seems pretty shady inside and I have just started taking the lower shading leaves off.  I don't think I could get any more in.  Being a little shady seems also to stop too many coming to picking ripeness at the same time.  So I am pretty happy with the set up like yours.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
get twice the amount of plants in than i did.

and also get botytis through lack of air circulation ::)

Springlands

Stompy - I also use the same spacing as you and have used that for many years - and even at that any peppers I planted in front of the toms did not do well - so I do not think that closer planting would work well.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Mine are about 12 ins apart and tbh I wish I had left them more room as they are very crowded and I have had to remove foliage far sooner than I would normally have done.

Silly really... just trying to cram too much inot our new little tunnel  :blink:

Won't do that again -- fewer plants and better fruit fer me next year.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

stompy

I've got very good fruit set and planty of fruit on the plants, but it looks rather sparse now the bottom foliage has been removed and it looks like i could get quite alot in there extra.

Your all probably right though as we all seem to be putting them in roughly the same spacing.

Thanks for thr responses guys.

Lady Rosemary

• Experienced Member
Mine are about 12 ins apart and tbh I wish I had left them more room as they are very crowded and I have had to remove foliage far sooner than I would normally have done.

Silly really... just trying to cram too much inot our new little tunnel  :blink:

Won't do that again -- fewer plants and better fruit fer me next year.

Same here sunshineband... I've planted mine in a square about 12" apart either way and didn't take the time to keep things tidy so things got well out of hand.  Needless to say, I did some hacking trimming and things should start to grow much better.   :wub:
~Remember What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it.~

waddecar

• Experienced Member
I believe that ripening is determined by temperature and the ethylene hormone.

I grow my toms on straw bales - 2 plants to a bale and have 4 bales as close together  in the centre of the gh as possible ie 2 rows of 4 plants  but i do have space to walk around on all sides.  So guess spacing is 12 to 15 inches. I  dont remove leaves  until they are no longer capable of photo synthesising.

they are ripening ok

Headgardener22

In the polygon el, I grow three rows of tomatoes zig-zagged in a 4th bed, about 2ft between the plants. I grow basil in between the back two rows. In between the plants in the front row I put pots of peppers or dwarf Chinese lantern (physalis). If the peppers don't grow too large they can stay there but if the get too big, I move them onto the path. I grow lots of different types of tomatoes so they ripen over a long period of time.

xx
Tomato Spacing in Greenhouse Border

Started by Markjp on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 19:08
by Kristen
xx
Polytunnel or Greenhouse

Started by ches on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2019, 08:38
by sunshineband
xx
Polytunnel vs greenhouse.

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post November 23, 2012, 00:54
by John
xx
Greenhouse V Polytunnel?

Started by fallen angel on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

13 Replies
Last post February 21, 2016, 19:02
by BabbyAnn

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 40 queries.