David and Goliath again.

• 5 Replies

Goosegirl

David and Goliath again.
« on: January 17, 2024, 09:19 »
Re- the Post Office scandal, just thought you might be interested in a short version of how I was involved in a similar battle with the Environment Agency. A number of years ago when we lived in our old cottage on Thurnham Moss, we found out totally by accident that the EA were planning to stop maintaining our sea defences either by deliberately breaching them (we'd be homeless but have compo) or doing nothing and let the sea take its course (we'd be homeless with no compo and would pay thousands to have our homes pulled down). All to do with creating a salt-marsh - yeah right!  A committee was formed and boy, was it a real learning curve. Unbeknownst to the EA, we had a secret ally whose knowledge about how seas, tides, water ingress and other stuff was so strategic that we had them on the back foot. They once tried to find out from me how we came by such intricate knowledge. My reply was we just do our research properly. Wild horses wouldn't have made me say any more. Later on, I went with another girl to see the EA's computer model of what would happen if the defences were breached at point A, point B etc. What a load of rubbish because we then produced photographic evidence to show that a breach in the Thurnham defences would not only flood the whole of Glasson Dock to the east of us, it would also flood Pilling which is a village several miles to the south of us. They had absolutely no answer to it so it resulted in our defences to be maintained for 30 years. If you believe in something so strongly, then go for it.  8)
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Kleftiwallah

Re: David and Goliath again.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 10:33 »
I always knew there was more than meets the eye with you Goosegirl, I'm very impressed! 8)

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 11:27 »
that makes interesting reading Goosy and it just goes to show iv you challenge those who are supposed to know better you and question there what they intend to do and  have a re-think on what they intend to do that ultimately have a long term effect on peoples lives and it sounds that you achieved your goal well done

Christine

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 15:02 »
I'll put it in my book with we couldn't expect our present "powers that be" to run a work house properly, set up council housing or create a national health service. Too much in it for the jobs and not qualified to do the job.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2024, 09:03 »
Thank you all for your very kind comments. I was only one of those who fought as some things were well over my head (not meaning the sea thank goodness). I just did this thread because, no matter how small something might be that has a real negative impact on lives, you can still win. If I can find my Pixresizer that has since  disappeared when I got my new PC, I'll download three pics of the 1977 sea defence breach that will make your eyes water. 

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2024, 09:36 »
As promised, here they are. Thurnham Moss is a low-lying area comprised of mostly farmland. In 1977 there was a major breach of the sea defences (see pic 1). People in the local pub were rung and told to get home as fast as they could. A very old farmhouse on the coast had the sea come in through her front windows so they had to open their back door to let it out. The whole area became one big lake (see pic 2) and the place where Cockersand Abbey was built became an island again (see pic 3). Now you may realise why we had to fight our battle. It wasn't about creating salt marsh as that would have taken many years if at all, it was all about money. Just fight for what you believe in and, even if you lose, you've done the best you can.
Abbey flooding (533 x 600).jpg
Flood Nov 1977.jpg
Flood 1977 breach of sea defences.jpg
1977 Thurnham Moss.jpg
IMG - Copy (3).jpg
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 09:49 by Goosegirl »

xx
St David's Day

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post March 01, 2020, 14:16
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 44 queries.