Does anything grow in the winter months or are they hibernating?

• 5 Replies

herbiegrowsbananas

• Experienced Member
Hiya

I was talking to another allotment holder the other day, and he was talking about this couple who have planted overwintering onions. They say that the onions will grow in the winter months.

He said it's a waste time cos nothing grows through the winter.

He said my swedes wont grow anymore, even if I leave them in the ground, the size they are is the size they stay.

I would love any advice, cos I really don't know who's right. I know that overwintering plants will start to grow when the temperature hits the right level for that particular plant to start growing, and I thought that was normally about 4 degrees celcius, but now I'm confused and would really appreciate any advice.

TIA,
Herbie
herbiegrowsbananas

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
He's right in the fact that nothing, or at least very little will grow in the winter months.

He's wrong in the fact that over winter onions are a waste of time. Planted at the correct time, they will have made some growth before the cold stops them, but they are primed and ready to go when it gets warmer and you'll have them a couple of months before the spring planted ones.

Your swede will not get any bigger. When they start growing again, they will go woody and naturally run to seed.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

herbiegrowsbananas

• Experienced Member
Now that makes sense, thanks DD!

Another Question, when should I pull my swedes (Invitation)? We've been pulling them as we've needed them and we have about 100 left in the ground.

Also, what's the best way of storing them?

Thanks so much,
Herbie

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Have a look at this:

Storing Root Veg

herbiegrowsbananas

• Experienced Member
Thanks DD.

Does anyone who stores carrots using this method have / had a problem with rats or rabbits?

We pulled all our carrots up just before Christmas cos the big ones were being nibbled right through.

Herbie

Mark-S

Thanks DD.

Does anyone who stores carrots using this method have / had a problem with rats or rabbits?

We pulled all our carrots up just before Christmas cos the big ones were being nibbled right through.

Herbie

hi
i have stored parsnip, carrots, swedes, beetroot and potatoes in clamps this winter with amazing results - apart from the poatatoes which sadly have been frozen.     
I used the traditional straw approach for the roots and these were perfect - the temps went down to  minus 17 over Christmas. 
The potatoes i used shredded paper and these simply froze in the clamp.  That said i am not sure if its down to the fact that i used paper or the fact that potatoes being stems could not cope with teh extreme cold.   Either way next year I will be using straw to store potatoes.

on the issue of 'not growing' over winter....the majority of plants we grow do not actively grow below 5 degrees C, at which point they become dormant, root and stemmy vegetables take their energy from the carbohydrate they have built up over the main growing period.   
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 17:36 by Mark-S »
its nice to be important, but it more important to be nice......

xx
Veg for the Winter Months.

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 09:59
by Lardman
xx
HHH No 6 Some thing to do in the winter months.

Started by mkhenry on Grow Your Own

39 Replies
Last post September 25, 2007, 23:33
by mkhenry
xx
how to store potatoes outdoors in the winter months

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post December 26, 2022, 16:12
by bazial
xx
Does veg grow in Winter?

Started by clairebeau on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 21, 2012, 11:19
by azubah

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 39 queries.