growing peas

• 25 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: growing peas
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 13:57 »
I've never been too successful with normal pea varieties; mangetout have done OK in the past but this year some sugarsnaps from Wilco's were brilliant (despite guessing, wrongly, that they would only grow to about 4' and having to surgically remove the protective netting!)

Two crops in one as far as I'm concerned, fantastic eaten straight off the plant when young (yes, I'm another one!) but perfectly good shelled peas if left a bit too long.

I don't think any claim is made about their resistance to pea moth but I don't think mine suffered much if at all, but then again they were usually eaten whole (with eyes closed!)  :D
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 11:51 »
DD's having a sabbatical, has other things he has to do at the moment, I'm sure he'll be back when he can  :)

Just getting back. Personally I'll only be growing heritage peas next year from self-saved seed.

I always had great sucess with Kelvedon Wonder. Sow early, then you'll avoid the pea moth.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

kenny199

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 12:45 »
I grew Kelvedon Wonder ,absolutley fab but sadly very few found there way onto a plate .The first picking took me by surprise and I had no bag to put them in,so i stuffed my pockets with them .Walking home iIhad eaten all bar four pods, four pods worth of peas for dinner not good so I ate them too.
To err is human, to arr is pirate

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2010, 10:07 »
Last year I grew Ambassador shelling pea, Sugar Bon sugar snaps and Bijou Mangetout (which have huge pods!!)
The Bijou Mangetout had a massive yield. (they grow tall so i made a chicken wire fence for them)
The Ambassador was a fairly good yield, but disappointed with the Sugar Bons... (perhaps because they're my fave and i cant get enough)

To be honest... the peas rarely make it home. My tea breaks on the allotment were always spent in the pea emporium, munching away!!!  :D

This year I'm planning on scaling up and growing a LOT more so that some peas actually make it as far as the kitchen!

The varieties of seed I have are:
Telephone Tall climbing pea
Champion of England tall climbing pea
Norli
Oscar
Hatif d'Annonay- early dwarf pea
'Golden Sweet' Yellow podded mangetout
Bijou Mangetout again, as i saved seed

I've also got some tiny amounts of Green Arrow and Oregon Snow Giant that i'm gonna grow in the garden, just for seed saving purposes so i can scale up a large amount for the following year!

I blimmin' LOVE peas, me!!!  :tongue2:

Does anyone know of any way to protect the tall varieties from the dreaded pea moth? :unsure:?

Out of interest, where did you get your Champion of England seed from? They are one of my heritage peas, donated originally by another forum member and are in this year's Heritage Seed Library catalogue. Real Seeds seem to be the only supplier and they admit to having only half a sack full.

I'm debating what to get this year as I think 10 heritage varieties is probably enough! May try tomatoes.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2010, 10:17 »
Just found some more here, never heard of this company before:

http://www.beansandherbs.co.uk/heirloombeanseed.htm

(near the bottom of the page)

Seems there's a few kicking around and you can get more than the 10 seed you get from the HSL.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 10:18 by DD. »

TheSpartacat

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 00:49 »
You can only drape fleece or environmesh down each side, can't think of another way  :unsure: They are self fertile, so no worries about covering, but the fine mesh costs a fortune in quantity :(

Doesn't it just! They'd be seriously expensive peas getting housed in enviromesh!! I  was wondering if debris netting was at all effective... or just wishful thinking...

Out of interest, where did you get your Champion of England seed from? They are one of my heritage peas, donated originally by another forum member and are in this year's Heritage Seed Library catalogue. Real Seeds seem to be the only supplier and they admit to having only half a sack full.

I got mine from realseeds back in June. As soon as they became available I pounced on them. They didn't stay up there long. (I'm really sad like that... i stalk seed catalogues waiting for interesting varieties to pop up LOL  :D Particularly the rare ones that are easier to save seed from- peas and french beans, tomatoes, chilis....)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 05:29 »
I've got 9 varieties of heritage pea to sow this year. Three of them for cropping and saving, the other 6 just for saving and then hopefully for cropping next year.

I thought enough's enough, so I've gone for 6 heritage tomatoes from the HSL this year.

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 08:57 »
I had probs with pea moth last year and I've got a spare bit of enviromesh, so I've gone for a dwarf variety (Meteor) and will try meshing them....

What I might do is an early sowing of another variety, then the Meteor under mesh, to give me a bit of a spread harvest?

I've only ever grown mangetout before (with no pea moth problems) in the patch at home so I'm a bit new to this.

Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011, 12:10 »
I am also growing Champion of England I got mine from real seeds where most of my seed has come from this year.

edit: looks like they are waiting for the next batch to finish drying

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011, 13:27 »
Will be growing Stokesley and Jaguar this year.  Stokesley are lovely and sweet, and Jaguar give a fantastic crop.  Both are relatively easy as long as you stake the DD way.

(I even gave some Jaguar to my sister last year  :wub:)
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

rowlandwells

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2011, 11:38 »
hi peapod  i found Jaguar i my catalogue they sounds worth growing as a second early dont know anything about stokesley or champion of England that Kevinp was referring to I've only grown onward and alderman i don't know what the father in law used to grow but he always had a good crop and never used sticks or wire my wife always insists on checking the peas i pod  for those dreaded bugs how do they get inside the pea pods  ???

thanks all

xx
Peas growing well

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 03, 2007, 10:38
by WG.
thumbup
I need help growing peas please

Started by Kristen on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 06, 2011, 18:14
by scousemouse
xx
growing peas

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 10, 2021, 22:41
by Gardener and Rabbit
xx
My Peas are actually growing

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 24, 2012, 21:01
by DD.

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 36 queries.