What Fruit Trees Do You Grow On Your Plot?

• 42 Replies

stompy

What Fruit Trees Do You Grow On Your Plot?
« on: March 22, 2011, 12:24 »
Hi all,

Im off to Morrisons tonight to get my bare root fruit trees for my new plot.
Im going to put them in pots until the beds are ready for them as when i'll be ready for them they'll have stopped selling them.

Just out of interest, what variety of fruit Trees do you all grow and which are your favourite for taste and crop size.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: What Fruit Trees Do You Grow On Your Plot?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 13:14 »
None cos we aren't allowed any trees on our small plots :(

stompy

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 14:02 »
Not even on dwarfing stocks  ???

Gravedigger

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 14:36 »
We're not allowed trees either (although a lot do have them)...we are allowed fruit bushes though and so far we have goosegogs and a plum bush (tree ;))

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 14:47 »
Not even on dwarfing stocks  ???

Nope zero tolerance as well. The old plots have them but if you plant now, they make you take them out :(

stompy

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 14:51 »
Is that in the rules, or is it someone trying to be a little controling?
If it's the council thats put it in place then i would check the other sites to see if it's on their rules too.
If it's not you can go down the discrimination route and they usually fold on that!
Just a sugestion

pigeonpie

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 14:56 »
I'm lucky enough to have an old orchard, although we have had to take out most of the old trees as they were too diseased to save and had been given too much of a hard time by the sheep that used to graze it.  I also had to take down all the cordons as they finally decided to lay flat and no amount of coaxing up worked.  They were at least 30 years old though so not too bad.
I'm not too sure what varieties they all were but did manage to work out that my favourite was a discovery and another was cox's orange pippin.  We have now replanted these in the orchard.  I think one of the others was a russet, which I hope to replant soon along with a pear (although hubbie grumbles about this as he doesn't like pears - I've chosen to ignore him on this as I love them!).
We also have a Bramley, another unidentified cooker/tart eater and 2 victoria plums.  I'm also hoping to put in a medlar this year as well as a new morello cherry (in a better position than the old one so that it is easier to net to stop the birds getting them all).
Sadly, we also had to take the old damson down as it was starting to cause a risk to the stone walls with it's constant suckering habit.   :(  Luckily I know where to find some over the farm as damson jam and damson vodka are 2 of my favourite treats!  :D

Dominic

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 15:30 »
I have three cherry trees, but at home, not on a plot, and quite a few berries and currants of various types
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 15:45 »
No restriction on our site for planting fruit trees. Several have old apple/pear trees but they take up so much space.  :(

I planted a dwarf plum tree as we have no space at home and I love the fruit.

I was persuaded to try an unnamed variety of plum (standard sized tree) from the place beginning with "L".... a cheapo. In it's second year and it's getting pretty big already so this summer it'll be having its first good prune. After that it needs to prove its worth or up it comes! 
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 17:40 »
I got 4 apples and a cherry, well my little lad has one of the apple trees and my daughter has the cherry tree. We still have plenty of space too as we got a full plot and a 3/4 plot there abouts.  2 of the apples were for our 10th wedding anniversary last year.
Thanks
Kris

Willowfire

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 17:57 »
I share the allotment plot with a friend and she has planted some sort of Cox apple tree and a Victoria plum tree.  I'm a little worried that the plum tree will get too big, and it has taken a few years to start bearing fruit.  But I threatened it last year that if it didn't produce any fruit I was going to cut it down,  so it complied and produced a good crop.  The weight of the apples produced last year nearly pulled the tree over, so I've had to do some heavy pruning to straighten it up.
We are here on earth to do good to others, what the others are here for I don't know.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 21:34 »
Is that in the rules, or is it someone trying to be a little controling?
If it's the council thats put it in place then i would check the other sites to see if it's on their rules too.
If it's not you can go down the discrimination route and they usually fold on that!
Just a sugestion

Why would it be discrimination?

There's enough serious discrimination in this world without frivolous use of the accusation.

Fruit trees can cause serious problems on plots, particularly if they are thoughtlessly sited or not on dwarfing rootstocks.  I'm not saying they should necessarily be banned, but there are potential problems with them.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Gandan57

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 22:05 »
No restrictions on fruit trees here.

I inherited an unknown apple and a pear. The apple`s fruit look like bramley but they don`t cook the same. The pear is Williams Bon Chretien.

I`ve planted a Victoria plum which cost £9.98 at Homebase. It`s 5ft tall and just breaking out in bud all over.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 22:10 »
Just planted a Gala in the garden at home as I love the sweet taste of these. Leaves are just coming out.  Couldn't source one locally so finished up buying fron treesonline.co.uk  (Manchester area I believe) after a goggle search.  Arrived safely in a couple of days. It is a fine specimen of pot grown tree - another victory for the internet!

John

Paul Plots

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 22:16 »
Just looked at "treesonline" and all I need now (apart from a huge bank balance) is a few acres of land!! Oh it would be so easy to fill it.  ;)

xx
What Fruit Trees to grow after potato blight

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 02, 2012, 16:27
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
Best fruit trees to grow in british climate?

Started by infowarrior on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 08, 2011, 10:57
by simonwatson
xx
Fruit Trees - Are they difficult to grow ? Pests and problems ?

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 23, 2009, 09:37
by garddwr
xx
Fruit trees for the plot.

Started by Denno17 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 10, 2009, 08:58
by Dane End

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 37 queries.