New raspberry cane advice please

• 4 Replies

Dimblebee

New raspberry cane advice please
« on: April 02, 2021, 23:04 »
Hello, I have 12 canes of Polka that should be arriving any day. I'm planning on putting them into a 5ft wide corridor between the redcurrant bushes and some raised beds on our allotment. It's currently covered with weed membrane (we planted squash through it last year). We've been using it as a footpath since then so it's pretty compacted. Please can you give me your opinions?
- how should I prepare the ground for the canes? What should I add? I have no home compost and not much spare cash :(
-shall I plant the canes through the weed membrane or pull it up and use a wood chip mulch? (We have lots delivered by local 'tree surgeons')
- do you have any other top tips for a first time raspberry grower?
We are really hoping to have some raspberries this year! Thank you for any helpful advice  :)

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
Re: New raspberry cane advice please
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 08:26 »
You need to digging the soil well to remove the compaction. If you have any spare multipurpose compost sitting around surplus to requirements add that but if not don't worry. In future years you can mulch them with whatever you can get your hands on. If you have any feed (eg: growmore, fish blood and bone) add a sprinkle of that but again if not don't worry.

Don't use the weed supressant membrane as raspberries throw up new canes each year. They don't stay where you planted them!!

Soak them for an hour or so in a bucket of water before planting and get them in as soon as they arrive as they will no longer be dormant and raring to grow.

Dimblebee

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 14:17 »
Thank you, sounds like good doable advice! I think I'll need to get digging this weekend in case they arrive quickly. Might webe able to get some raspberries this year or will it be too late? I read somewhere about cutting down the canes as soon as I plant them. Did you do this?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 15:50 »
As they are autumn fruiting they need to be trimmed back to 3 or 4 inches above soil level, after planting, as they will throw up new shoots from low down and if the plants are happy these will fruit in the first year.
All the shoots should be cut down like this every year, during winter, and the new shoots will fruit the same year that they grow.
Autumn fruiting varieties, if cut down each year, don't need much, if any support, unlike the summer fruiting types which can grow quite tall and need post and wires.
Good luck!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 15:51 by mumofstig »

Dimblebee

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 23:23 »
Ah yes, thank you! I hadn't even thought of supports. I will see how they grow this year and see if I need to make some kind of fence structure to support them. I'm very excited to have some raspberries.
Hoping to be able to keep them in check. I've heard they can throw new shoots up everywhere!

clip
Raspberry Cane

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 04, 2015, 19:31
by mumofstig
xx
Raspberry cane help please

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 12, 2009, 21:27
by Paul Plots
clip
Raspberry cane

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2015, 15:49
by simonwatson
clip
Raspberry Cane

2 Replies
Last post December 19, 2015, 15:42
by mdjlucan

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 45 queries.