Killing off invasive plants.

• 3 Replies

mrs bouquet

Killing off invasive plants.
« on: March 19, 2019, 11:09 »
Two things, the first is low growing brown ornamental grass, which is under matting and gravel, and is spreading everywhere.   The second is Cuckoo Pint (Lords and Ladies).  I have tried Roundup, and tipped a bottle of bleach on the grasses.
Somebody has suggested,  mixing salt, white vinegar and washing up liquid (The latter to make it stick to the leaves).    I am not really sure about this, I don't want to blow myself up  :D.   I thought I also heard somebody mention diluted quicksilver (that's mercury isn't it ?)   The grasses have nothing else growing near them, But the Lords and Ladies, are near ferns and lilly of the valley.   
Thanks for reading this, and all your comments and ideas will be much appreciated,    Mrs Bouqet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

RubyRed

• Experienced Member
Re: Killing off invasive plants.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 16:58 »
Blimey are they that much of a problem that you are prepared to poison the soil and yourself  (Mercury). Can't you just dig them out, or at least cut the seed pods of the cuckoo pint. They are lovely plants. Don't whatever you do touch mercury, and I've not heard it being able to be diluted anyway. It's a heavy metal.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 16:50 »
The person who mentioned Mercury, has since come back and said he subsequently meant Silver Sand.
I said, erm, maybe, thanks.  :ohmy:  I know I cannot hear, but I said to him, Quicksilver, that's Mercury isn't it.
He replied,   I don't know, is it ?   That's why I put it on the this thread to double check.  ::)
The brown grasses, I have now sprayed with, salt, white vinegar and washing up liquid (smells like a chips shop), after cutting it back as much as possible, and then trying to break the centre of the plants.   I cannot dig it out at present, I have tried, but it is about 4ft square, and too much under the gravel and matting.
So I shall wait and see what happens.
The Lords and Ladies, I have dug a lot out, and left a smallish clump, it is pretty because it is verigated.
I shall be vigilant and remove the berries this autumn.  Mrs Bouquet

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 21:01 »
I would think if you cut them down as much as that Mrs B, exclude all light by covering in some manner, keeping an eye on it & should it regrow, cut it down again. Keep doing this for a year or 2 if necessary I’m sure that will kill it with out the need to risk dubious chemicals on it 😊
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

clip
Invasive Bamboo

Started by Carolyn Thorne on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post December 20, 2020, 22:28
by Subversive_plot
xx
Perilla de nankin - invasive?

Started by barbarella on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post May 07, 2011, 15:11
by barbarella
xx
eradicating invasive pulmonaria

Started by Janeymiddlewife on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2008, 22:29
by Janeymiddlewife
xx
Invasive bamboo removal

Started by james_so on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post April 24, 2007, 18:06
by jackiestagg

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 38 queries.