Pond lining or preformed plastic?

• 1 Replies

Clarky86

Pond lining or preformed plastic?
« on: March 17, 2019, 18:48 »
Evening all.

I have 2 fantastic ponds that are teaming with wildlife. Both were put in by previous owners so have very little idea what is in there.

One has no fish in and the biggest has at least 2 decent sized mirror carp I think and a good handful of what look like black carp...

Both ponds have got alot of sludge in them from debris decomposition and the water is very dark, cannot see much more than a few centimetres deep.

I am looking to dig a new pond in a better location in the garden, one that has 2 sections again so similar to what I have now.

My question is what is best for a wildlife pond? Liners are more likely to deteriorate over time I but preformed ones are probably better to clean I guess but then do I want to clean a wildlife pond?

I'm a total novice to ponds but i really want my ponds I have now but in a different location away from the house ( currently about a meter away from conservatory and the amount of flies we have in during the summer )
I will over lap the installation of my new pond and removal of the old so that wildlife can acclimatise itself to it and for it to settle.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

RubyRed

• Experienced Member
Re: Pond lining or preformed plastic?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 22:02 »
We also have 2 large wildlife ponds using butyl liner. Any water in the garden is better than none. The more expensive liner can last for 25 years and is easier to get the lovely gently sloping shallow banks needed for any wildlife to haul itself out. Also turf can be laid right up to the edge even dropping in the water itself with liner. Just push a garden fork through then lay the turf. The roots will find their way through the liner into the soil. It's not a good idea to have fish in a wildlife pond as they eat tadpoles and spawn and even baby newts. Lots of stones and rocks will provide shelter and basking places. Good luck I love my ponds. Don't clean the old ones out till Oct Nov time as creatures are stirring now and toxic fumes from the gun he will affect them. One more thing, when you have made new ponds empty a couple of buckets of the gunk into them. It contains tiny creatures and goodness to start them off.

xx
Pond lining

Started by jacnal on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post August 16, 2007, 08:17
by jacnal
xx
HELP, pond pump drained my pond

Started by Clarky86 on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post May 14, 2019, 08:04
by JayG
xx
plastic flower container with a plastic type gauze a few inches from the bottom

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 23, 2023, 18:01
by wighty
clip
A pond

Started by pepsi100 on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post May 05, 2024, 09:33
by pepsi100

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 37 queries.