Beech Hedge.

• 1 Replies

Elaine G

Beech Hedge.
« on: March 02, 2019, 19:08 »
The two photos are of the beech hedge that runs between our front garden and our neighbours.
Hopefully you can see that their side is quite dense, whereas ours has long branches and leaves on the end  :lol:

My suggestion is to cut back all the branches by half, which would remove all the leaves, in the hope that it would start to grow a bit more densely over the summer.

Has anyone got any knowledge of beech? Is my plan good or just plain dangerous!
I don't want to kill the hedge, they are nice neighbours (but not gardeners)

Thanks
Elaine
IMG_1377.jpg
IMG_1376.jpg
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

jezza

Re: Beech Hedge.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 21:13 »
hello it shouldn't harm the hedge to cut the stems back I trim 100 yards of beech and hornbeam hedge every September when it gets wider than the hedge cutter blade (30 inch)it gets cut back to within 9 inches of the trunk one year then the other the following year it slows it down but comes back denser I don't cut if its frosty if frost is forecast I finish cutting about 3pm to give the cut ends time to dry  I was taught a little rhyme for cutting beech hedges which seems to work cut in may you'll cut for ever and a day cut in August and September it'll be a year and a day also remember that there's a bird nesting season April to September cutting between these months its recommended to do a nesting assessment    jezza

xx
beech hedge

Started by Blackpool rocket on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post February 16, 2015, 11:37
by Kristen
xx
beech hedge

Started by mr tibbs on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post June 20, 2008, 21:37
by peterjf
xx
Beech hedge when to plant

Started by ganner on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post July 01, 2010, 17:59
by Goosegirl
xx
Beech hedge problem

Started by soaplady on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post January 19, 2010, 15:50
by soaplady

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 38 queries.