Advice on new allotment - where to start?

• 25 Replies

Paul Canning

• Experienced Member
Advice on new allotment - where to start?
« on: November 19, 2010, 17:37 »
Hopefully this is the right section to ask this but I was wondering what the best thing to do to our new allotment is?

Now it's new to us and luckily no, it's not been neglected for years and full of nettles :-)

In fact it seems pretty good and most of it's covered in green manure ie mustard, the rest has a few gooseberry and raspberry bushes / canes.

I have 3 main concerns

1. I've chatted to a few others on the allotments and there's no real history to the plot so far so this leaves me wondering what to plant for the first year when thinking about crop rotation?

2. It's late in the season and as far as I know there's nothing I can plant now really other than broad beans, but a full plot of those seems extreme to say the least.

3. The mustard / green manure. Im wondering whether to leave this til spring or get it done now so it rots in?

any thoughts from anyone are most welcome.  :(

SG6

Re: Advice on new allotment - where to start?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 17:47 »
If you don't know what has been in it and no one else does then don't worry. You just have to start now. No much else you can do is there?  ??? ???

Would have thought that the mustard would die off at this time of year. Personally I would dig it in so it breaks down and so you have ithe plot clear at the start of the year, when you will want to clear ground for planting in.   :mellow: :mellow:

What to try now: Garlic, overwintering onion sets. No idea about broad bean, cannot stand the things. Agreed not much is really possible at this time but this is the situation every year.  :nowink: :nowink:

Neil Doncaster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 19:28 »
November is the time to prune your gooseberries you need to cut back this years grow by a half

daisy1990

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 19:36 »
spend the time looking at seed catalogues and planning for next year.  You could get compost bins ready or lay paths if you need them. otherwise spent the time planning= enjoy!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Fisherman

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 05:22 »
The first thing to do is to decide what you would like to grow based on what you and your family like to eat.

Group your chosen vegetables in families i.e. root crops, brassicas, legumes, potatoes etc. Include space for fruit bushes and trees but be careful not to block out light from your plot or your neighbours.

Develop a crop rotation plan and devide your plot accordingly. Crop rotaion should be based on a minimum of 3 years (the greater number of years the better).

Read up on the requirements of each your crops i.e. which crops are heavy feeders and which are not, what soil Ph level do they prefer etc.

Prepare your plot over the winter ready for sping planting.

Browse catalogues and order your chosen seeds. Like the rest of us try not to get carried away and order too many. Some years I have ordered enough seeds for a few acre rather than for my medium sized plot. The suppliers always provide information on their seed packets relating to the number of seeds contained, length of row etc.

Develop a sowing and planting schedule. Take note of the requirements of each typ of seed / plant i.e. parsnips need reasonably dry / warm conditions to germinate, potatoes can't stand frost nor can courgettes and french beans etc.

Maybe consider building a cold frame or purchase a cloche to help with seed germination.

Take your time and most of all enjoy :)

Paul Canning

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 14:16 »
If you don't know what has been in it and no one else does then don't worry. You just have to start now. No much else you can do is there?  ??? ???

LOL, very true.

Would have thought that the mustard would die off at this time of year. Personally I would dig it in so it breaks down and so you have ithe plot clear at the start of the year, when you will want to clear ground for planting in.   :mellow: :mellow:

It's a lovely green at the moment and flourishing! But I think that will be the way to do it, get it dug in and let the frosts break down the clumps too.

What to try now: Garlic, overwintering onion sets. No idea about broad bean, cannot stand the things. Agreed not much is really possible at this time but this is the situation every year.  :nowink: :nowink:

Good point :-/

Paul Canning

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 14:18 »
November is the time to prune your gooseberries you need to cut back this years grow by a half

hmmm unfortunately pruning is something i have never come across before, never had berry bushes etc but Ive got a few allotment books etc from the library so am starting my research and there is a section re pruning. :-)

Paul Canning

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 14:21 »
spend the time looking at seed catalogues and planning for next year.  You could get compost bins ready or lay paths if you need them. otherwise spent the time planning= enjoy!

Plannings the big thing (or at least the main thing) for now I think. Got any suggestions re seed catalogues ie where do i get them as when we had our plot 15 odd years ago we simply went to garden centres and decided what to buy from there which in hindsight seems a bit blinkered.

Paul Canning

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 14:37 »
The first thing to do is to decide what you would like to grow based on what you and your family like to eat.

Hmmm but I cant grow pepperoni pizza :-)
Seriously though, I think our main vegetable eating is potatoes, carrots, runner beans, sprouts, lettuce, cabbage, tomatoes, basil, coriander, onion, peppers, brocolli, cauliflower, cucumber, melons, mushrooms, peas, strawberries Im sure theres more.

Group your chosen vegetables in families i.e. root crops, brassicas, legumes, potatoes etc. Include space for fruit bushes and trees but be careful not to block out light from your plot or your neighbours.

There are a few bushes at each end but Ive noticed no trees on any of the plots so assuming its a no no, but Im not bothered about trees anyway.

Develop a crop rotation plan and devide your plot accordingly. Crop rotaion should be based on a minimum of 3 years (the greater number of years the better).

Read up on the requirements of each your crops i.e. which crops are heavy feeders and which are not, what soil Ph level do they prefer etc.

Prepare your plot over the winter ready for sping planting.

Browse catalogues and order your chosen seeds. Like the rest of us try not to get carried away and order too many. Some years I have ordered enough seeds for a few acre rather than for my medium sized plot. The suppliers always provide information on their seed packets relating to the number of seeds contained, length of row etc.

All noted.

Develop a sowing and planting schedule. Take note of the requirements of each typ of seed / plant i.e. parsnips need reasonably dry / warm conditions to germinate, potatoes can't stand frost nor can courgettes and french beans etc.

Maybe consider building a cold frame or purchase a cloche to help with seed germination.

Already on the lookout for old windowframes :-)

Take your time and most of all enjoy :)

Cheers :-)

grendel

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 15:43 »
Hi Paul I'm very much in the same boat as you - except for the weeds that is, my half plot is thick with them, today I spent a couple of hours clearing brambles, cutting back the hedges and getting started, so I will be watching the replies here with interest.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Paul Canning

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 16:27 »
good man for getting that done so far Grendel!

I've been up to the allotment today again before it got dark so have taken some pics as it stands now.

The above is looking from north to south

This one is looking south to north

Some of the raspberry canes at one end, there's more at the north end and some blackcurrant and gooseberry too.

some weeds where the green manure wasnt planted. also some other veg not sure if its beetroot or not.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 17:27 »
the photoes look good....why not make your own diary blog, on the Gardeners Diary Board..............then you can update it as you go along :)

grendel

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 17:29 »
heres a before picture of mine.
Grendel
IMG_0189small.jpg

grendel

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 17:31 »
and after I had removed some of the brambles and cleared round the sites stopcock.
Grendel
IMG_0204small.jpg

Paul Canning

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 18:01 »
the photoes look good....why not make your own diary blog, on the Gardeners Diary Board..............then you can update it as you go along :)

I hadn't seen that, I may well do that then! :-)

xx
Seed potatoes - advice and general advice on how to start an allotment

Started by barnowl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 17:34
by kloggs
xx
Where to start, just got new allotment

Started by Lostbrain on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 10, 2013, 17:09
by woollywoozle
xx
Ok, where do I start on my 1st allotment? Help please!!

Started by Stratts on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 07, 2011, 12:37
by Stratts
xx
Where to start! New Allotment!

Started by Steerpike on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 21, 2006, 14:00
by adekun

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 35 queries.