peppers or 'capsicums'

• 6 Replies

Chiswickian

• Experienced Member
peppers or 'capsicums'
« on: January 02, 2010, 18:03 »
I'm planning my seed puchases and am seeking views on varieities of peppers. I have grown a variety called Marconi Rosso and have struggled to get ripe fruit. I managed two measly red peppers in October from two plants. I grow outdoors and have no greenhouse available. Has anyone had better successs with outdoor growing with other varieties?
TIA
Ian
If you can't be an excellent example be a terrible warning...

SG6

Re: peppers or 'capsicums'
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 19:37 »
I have had similar problems. I think that you need to get the seeds started early so that when they go out they are a reasonable size plant, could buy some that have been started form a garden centre as well.

Also plant somewhere warm/sunny, south facing and wall being the best I can think of.

May also have to look for a variety that is suitable for the UK, just don't ask what that might be as I have had no great success so far myself.

DavidT

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 21:11 »
Ideally they need to be started early in the year in warm conditions, and only put outside in the warmer, summer, weather.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 21:23 »
I think it was the windy summer that held back the peppers :(, the weather was a bit kinder later in the year and that's when my outside ones fruited.
Could you not rig up some protection, a bit of netting or something like that, just to make things a bit more sheltered for them?

Chiswickian

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 12:26 »

Could you not rig up some protection, a bit of netting or something like that, just to make things a bit more sheltered for them?
[/quote]

yes, I could and that's something I will try

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 16:14 »
i planted 3 plants in one of the grow bags outside and got abt 30 good peppers off them over the season
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 16:31 »
I grow them outside here, where we get much colder winters, so I can't set mine outside until later May.

My tricks are: the plant should be a reasonable size before going outside and properly hardened off. When I do plant it out, it immediately gets a cloche of its own such as a 2L soda bottle with the bottom cut out and fleece stuffed into the spout for air venting (and keeping out frost).  Peppers are like toms - they need heat, not cool weather. If you get a lot of wind (which will dessicate the plants) then put up a seasonal windbreak for them like a slab of plywood or stretched out plastic sheeting fastened to stakes.

I've also found that my very best crops come from the peppers having a bit of shade, either being planted in a part shade area or growing behind a taller plant which is on the sunnier side. Peppers also love generous amounts of manure in the soil, regular watering and weeding.

Since I've done all of the above, I've been up to my neck in gorgeous peppers of all colours and to the point where I must stake the plants themselves as they're so heavily laden.

xx
Capsicums rotting

Started by the Kergan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 06, 2012, 23:16
by the Kergan
xx
When to feed Toms and Capsicums?

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 24, 2009, 15:11
by peterjf
question
Growing capsicums in Glasgow - are we being too naive? (UPDATED w/pic)

Started by jamesbrownontheroad on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 12, 2009, 08:10
by jamesbrownontheroad
xx
peppers

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 22, 2014, 09:23
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 39 queries.