Weedy compost

• 8 Replies

rogertb

• Experienced Member
Weedy compost
« on: May 24, 2022, 08:04 »
I’m guessing there were weed seeds in the compost … any ideas for removing, do I need to wait for them to grow a bit more then hoe ? Many thanks R
42E6FCC2-16E0-46A6-BBFA-EAB0E265E8FF.jpeg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Weedy compost
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2022, 08:35 »
If you shuffle the surface about a bit, while they're tiny, most of them should die off - then you just need to sort out the few that survive, later

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2022, 08:45 »
I suggest using a cultivator tool to loosen up the surface while the weeds are tiny, then allowing the soil to dry out.  That will kill most of the tiny weeds before they become big weeds. Repeat as often as necessary.

Is this a commercial  compost or home made? My thought is that the compost was not turned enough times for weed seeds to be killed during composting.  You can try putting this compost (any you haven't used) into heavy grade black plastic bags and leaving them in the sun until solar heating "cooks" any remaining seeds.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 08:47 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2022, 10:29 »
One other thought is to bury the weedy compost by using in pots with non weedy compost on the top . That way you benefit from the weedy compost but the weed seeds are hopefully too deep to cause any issues. If in a bed then just the cultivator when the seedlings are small and it’s dry weather as mentioned above.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 10:30 by Hampshire Hog »
Keep digging

rogertb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2022, 11:22 »
Thanks chaps, I have a mini cultivator and give that a go. Shop bought stuff but I have. 3 bags from 3 places, not sure what caused the weeds ! give of you all.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2022, 13:05 »
I've had a bit of a rant about my first trial with a peat-free compost, and believe it was responsible for most of my seeds damping-off despite my doing the usual weight test by lifting the pots up to see how heavy they felt so as to know if they needed watering. To me, weedy compost is not on nor is having to sieve rubbish out before you can use it. Recently I was told that Jack's Magic has been taken over by someone so didn't get any this year.  >:( I now think I made a mistake because I don't know when the bags for sale were made. As an aside, I left the pots of sweetcorn and toms I sowed on 5th May outside ready to chuck out and, believe it or not, I now have two more sweetcorn and two different toms that decided to germinate all on their own. Basically we're not getting value for money.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2022, 15:04 »

I bought 12 sacks of Jack's Magic for all my tomato plants in the greenhouse and for some containers around the house. No weeds in it

missmoneypenny

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2022, 19:58 »
I’ve had exactly the same in my Incredipeatfree. Weeds looked very similar to those in your pic. I waited for them to get bigger and pulled them out one by one. Quite enjoyable.

AnneB

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2022, 09:24 »
I've had a bit of a rant about my first trial with a peat-free compost, and believe it was responsible for most of my seeds damping-off despite my doing the usual weight test by lifting the pots up to see how heavy they felt so as to know if they needed watering. To me, weedy compost is not on nor is having to sieve rubbish out before you can use it. Recently I was told that Jack's Magic has been taken over by someone so didn't get any this year.  >:( I now think I made a mistake because I don't know when the bags for sale were made. As an aside, I left the pots of sweetcorn and toms I sowed on 5th May outside ready to chuck out and, believe it or not, I now have two more sweetcorn and two different toms that decided to germinate all on their own. Basically we're not getting value for money.
I have found that peat free compost retains water more than the ones I used to use  It is also a bit deceptive as it often looks dry on top but is wet underneath. 

xx
How weedy is your plot?

Started by Lizum on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 08, 2011, 18:30
by totalnovice
xx
Weedy asparagus

Started by Lesmiserable on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 02, 2020, 11:07
by Hampshire Hog
xx
Peas - really weedy

Started by Middle Eastern Gardener on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 26, 2020, 10:16
by jambop
xx
Weedy Leeks?

Started by ex-cavator on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 01, 2011, 10:51
by ex-cavator

Page created in 0.397 seconds with 45 queries.