Where to sow seeds

• 6 Replies

rw3272

Where to sow seeds
« on: March 21, 2010, 20:31 »
A very newbie question I'm afraid as I am after a little reassurance.

I am just sowing the first of the seeds for my plot.  I am near the coast in North Cumbria. South facing, lowlevel, no frost pockets but we are quite far north!

I have available:

Lots of windowsill space ranging from sitting room (south facing and open fire at night so pretty warm all day long) to a cool utility.
South facing glass-walled porch
Unheated greenhouse
Underfloor heating in the bathroom, on 24hrs.

I am confused by where best to start various seeds.  I currently have toms in the bathroom to benefit from the underfloor heating.  Will move these to the sitting room once they germinate.

What is really baffling me are the leeks/brassicas.  The packets lead me to believe they'll be ok outside but surely its a bit too cold still even in the greenhouse.  At the moment they are in the cool utility and I may put them into the GH during the day when they germinate but back inside at night.

Does this sound ok, or am I on the wrong track completely.  I am paranoid about killing off my little seedlings.

Thanks for being so patient,
Rachael

digalotty

Re: Where to sow seeds
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 20:36 »
i am led to believe that brassicas dont need to be warm
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Loubs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 20:40 »
You sound like you are on the right tracks...

Toms do like it a bit warmer. You're doing the right thing keeping them indoors for now.

Leeks & brassicas definitely should be kept in cooler conditions.  I'm at other end of the country from you so generally am about 3-4 weeks ahead of you -  I sowed my leeks outside in one of those flimsy 4-tier plastic covered greenhouses about a month ago, and they're just starting to come up now. So if you did the same now, should be ok to keep in your unheated greenhouse.

I did sow some cauliflowers indoors back in January, but these have also been outside since mid-Jan. They're very hardy & tough and have survived all the sub-zero temperatures we had.

But I wouldn't worry too much about killing seedlings.... it happens to all of us sometimes.

theakston_uk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 20:45 »
I sowed my leeks outside in one of those flimsy 4-tier plastic covered greenhouses about a month ago, and they're just starting to come up now.

I'm glad you've said that, I sowed 2 trays of leeks 3 weeks ago tomorrow and nothing is showing yet, gives me some hope that they will appear at some point

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 23:50 »
I'd sow them inside then move them out to the greenhouse at the first signs of germination. That way you only wait days instead of weeks :) I'm a bit impatient.

Anything that's a bit hardy I germinate inside then move out soon as they peek up, leeks, spring onion, peas etc. Anything that likes it warmer eg toms and peppers I germinate in a warm spot them move to a window sill once they show.

rw3272

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 13:55 »
Thanks everyone, thats really reassuring.

Rachael

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 14:43 »
Always read the back of the packet as all the information about germination and growing on should be there  :)   Good luck with your seedlings  :)

xx
Any difference with courgette seeds & butternut squash seeds?!

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2009, 19:00
by Paul Plots
xx
seeds to sow

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 26, 2012, 10:44
by mumofstig
xx
Which seeds go off?

Started by flowerpower on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 12, 2009, 11:57
by flowerpower
xx
Do seeds go off?

Started by Vegswap on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 19:56
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 30 queries.