Beetroot

• 10 Replies

Size66

Beetroot
« on: June 14, 2006, 15:49 »
Beetroot, whats the score here, ive planted 3 rows from seed, they're up about 2 inches now and all really close together, do i thin en out or just leave them , if i thin how far apart, looks like im set to lose a lot of i have to go for 10 - 12 inch spacing, thats a shame. :cry:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Beetroot
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 16:16 »
Not a beetroot expert myself, but I usually go for 6 inch spacing, otherwise they seem to keep small, and I use the thinnings, to fill in any gaps if a few didn't germinate.  Some books say beetroot don't like being transplanted, and I must admit when them lay down you think you've killed them. OH always says they wont make it, but a few days later, up they come!!!  OH loves his beetroot, so I don't like losing any if I can help it.

Size66

Beetroot
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 16:21 »
Ta, we'll see how it goes, just trying to keep on top of weeds at the mo, theyre flying out of the ground

GrannieAnnie

Beetroot
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 16:22 »
Oh don't I know it, haven't done any for a coule of days, now I can hardly see my shallots and onions!!!

Size66

Beetroot
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 16:26 »
Ive given up on me beans, what did surface got tangled in last years spud, nettle and weed. Transplanted some lettuce last night , see what happens there.
Ive taken my plot from an old fella who manured and rotovated the plot every year so at least the soil is very light - ive only been on it 6 weeks and have it full of bits and pieces

GrannieAnnie

Beetroot
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 16:46 »
shame you're not near me and was on last week.  I gave 35 runner bean plants away to one of our new members!!!  I ran out of room on my eg patch and OH isn't keen on me digging up more garden!!!!   lol

Size66

Beetroot
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 16:48 »
In newcastle

andy_jacko

• http://www.comebrowse.net
Beetroot
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 17:44 »
I gave 35 runner bean plants away to one of our new members!!!

which have now been put in and are looking very strong, the toms are looking good aswell ;)

christine.
curioser and curioser

comic_muse

Re: Beetroot
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 20:28 »
Quote from: "Size66"
Beetroot, whats the score here, ive planted 3 rows from seed, they're up about 2 inches now and all really close together, do i thin en out or just leave them , if i thin how far apart, looks like im set to lose a lot of i have to go for 10 - 12 inch spacing, thats a shame. :cry:

Point with Beetroot seed is...it isn't !  It's a capsule of seeds, unless you use a 'mono' variety.  When you plant 'a' seed, you are actually planting  cluster of seeds......so when you sow in the row you are planting clusters of seeds every few cm, not individual seeds.  A good plan with all manner of stuff like Parsnips, Beet etc is to 'station sow', three or so seeds every 4" or so, far less thinning & your spaces are pretty much set out as the stuff comes up.  Saves on thinning, saves on seed.....rarely (if ever) fails.
......straight lines are for tidy minded people.....

Size66

Beetroot
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 09:22 »
Didnt know that - Ta

GrannieAnnie

Beetroot
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 19:37 »
Hi Christine, so you've taken the plants off the kitchen floor then?????  Pleased they seem to be doing well.

xx
beetroot

Started by newseed on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 10:54
by Aunt Sally
xx
beetroot

Started by Jeanieblue on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 23, 2007, 13:06
by Jeanieblue
sad
Beetroot

Started by Jinny23 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 31, 2015, 21:37
by Gardener and Rabbit
xx
Beetroot

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 16, 2021, 09:54
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 38 queries.