Harden off sweetcorn

• 10 Replies

janiejakemum

• Experienced Member
Harden off sweetcorn
« on: May 20, 2009, 10:30 »
Hi all

My second attempt ( dog destroyed first lot) at sweetcorn is doing well, i thought i would now start to harden them off some are looking a bit leggy so i thought id put them outside during the day and in conservatory overnight.  They arent that big but as i say i think they are going a bit thin and leggy - i think they are about 6 inches now.

Does that sound ok?

Thanks

Sue33

Re: Harden off sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 10:37 »

my sweetcorn hasn't germinated at all so I was thinking of buying some from the garden centre, saw some at the weekend and they were probably about 6" , outside but under cover so yes I guess it's fine to start hardening them off now  :)

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 10:45 »
mine are about 4" high in a coldframe (paperpot method), waiting for me to dig over the area they are to be planted in.  they seem happy out there for the time being. :mellow:

BarrowBoy

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 10:47 »
I planted 36 corn seeds about 6 - 8 weeks ago and was left by a sunny window indoors and from 36 seeds only 24 have grow more than a few inches.
12 of these corn that all started on the same date and in same conditions are around 14 - 18 inches tall and currently hardening off outside, the other 12 i have left inside as they are only around 6 inches...should i have planted then in the ground by now?

Sue33

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 11:42 »

I think they can go out late May / June, guess it depends on where you live, to be honest I haven't planted out anything lately don't know whereabouts you are in Essex but the winds have been really roaring through our allotment these last couple of weeks causing quite a bit of damage, I'm hoping June will be better  :)

BarrowBoy

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 11:45 »
The Alotment site is in Romford and as you say the wind has been very strong this last week, it was blowing the onions over on Monday evening.

I think i will leave the corn two more weeks!

Sue33

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 11:54 »

Only a few miles from each other then Barrowboy - I might buy some sweetcorn this weekend and maybe put it in on Monday if the weather is ok , I've got loads of stuff in the greenhouse and hardening off, think June is going to be pretty busy month  :)

MoreWhisky

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 13:50 »
My sweetcorn is in under 2litre pop bottles. they range from 2inches to 6 and seem to be doing fine.

I will leave them under bottles until they grow out of em.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

janiejakemum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 20:30 »
I am between Basildon and Billericay, so yes its been very windy.  I was planning to plant them out first week of June - having said that the weekends weather is meant to be pretty good so might get away with that.  Should i protect them from critters or are sweetcorn pretty safe, ive always thought i just have to be careful about temperature and general exposure to cool/windy conditions?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 20:43 »
I've been putting mine out in the day, then in at night since last w/e so, as the wind dropped ....I put them in the bed yesterday but fleecing at night just in case it's a bit chilly. Fingers crossed  :)

alwayshopeful

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 16:55 »
I brought mine from garden centre, and lady assured me they had been outside for a while in all weathers, so have planted them out in big pots on my picnic table out of the reach of the badgers!! 

They seem to be doing well, about 10 inches, but foliage is turning slightly yellow.  Think they may need some runner beans in with them for their nitrogen fix - will have a go  :)
I have a pair of secateurs and I'm not afraid to use them!!

xx
trying to harden up veg

Started by dawnj on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 20:14
by sunshineband
xx
when can I harden off tomatoes etc

Started by Noah'strolly on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 25, 2008, 19:55
by Noah'strolly
xx
Brushing to harden off

Started by Baldy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 20, 2015, 23:08
by Comfreypatch
xx
Didnt harden off - big problem?

Started by kermit on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 22, 2009, 23:30
by Brambles

Page created in 0.399 seconds with 41 queries.